Donal

"Nav" wrote in message
Aha! Another great ASA competition. Will you both wager a something to
make it interesting?

I wouldn't bet a penny that I could take a decent photo in the next month.
I'm quite willing to try, and I'm willing to publish the result.

How will you both prove you actuially took the
photo?

I wouldn't feel the need to prove anything. I suspect that any photos that
I take in the next month will be of a standard that doesn't invite
suspicion.

How about I find you both a comet to take at a certain time. That
way you cannot use a photo from the web as the star positions would be
wrong...

30 % of my sky (to the west) is light polluted! 30% is obscured by trees!
If you can find a comet of Mag 8 or better, near the zenith, then I'll have
a go.

Regards

Donal

Nav

OK, on 1/1/05 at 8.55.11 pm local New York time, comet MACHOLTZ C/2004
Q2 will be will be 2 degrees 2' 4" from HIP17240 (which happens to be a
supergiant star).

Bwhahhahahahaha I glad you like egg, it's dripping down your face!

Cheers

Overproof wrote:

Bwahahahahahahahaaaaa...... Yeah Jaxxies... sure thing!

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

With the sofware I have loaded on my computers I can plot the relative
position of any known comet and background stars to mag 17. I could go
deeper but there's no point is there?

Overproof

Pick One...

CM

"Nav" wrote in message
What web site?

Cheers

"Nav" wrote in message

With the sofware I have loaded on my computers I can plot the relative
position of any known comet and background stars to mag 17. I could go
deeper but there's no point is there?

Nav

Is it on Donals?

Cheers

Overproof wrote:

Pick One...

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

What web site?

Cheers

"Nav" wrote in message

With the sofware I have loaded on my computers I can plot the relative
position of any known comet and background stars to mag 17. I could go
deeper but there's no point is there?

Overproof

I don't know... I've never been to Donal's web site.

CM

"Nav" wrote in message
Is it on Donals?

Cheers

Overproof wrote:

Pick One...

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

What web site?

Cheers

"Nav" wrote in message

With the sofware I have loaded on my computers I can plot the
relative position of any known comet and background stars to mag 17.
I could go deeper but there's no point is there?

Nav

So, you disparage my truthful statement with no basis. I could have
understood a challenge like " So what is the name and serial number of
the software Nav" but not this. What a pity.

Cheers.

Overproof wrote:

I don't know... I've never been to Donal's web site.

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

Is it on Donals?

Cheers

Overproof wrote:

Pick One...

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

What web site?

Cheers

"Nav" wrote in message

With the sofware I have loaded on my computers I can plot the
relative position of any known comet and background stars to mag 17.
I could go deeper but there's no point is there?

Overproof

You could get that off the web as well..... why not take a picture of
yourself next to the equipment... and do try to avoid any "red-eye" please!

CM

Overproof wrote:

I don't know... I've never been to Donal's web site.

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

Is it on Donals?

Cheers

Overproof wrote:

Pick One...

CM

"Nav" wrote in message

What web site?

Cheers

"Nav" wrote in message

With the sofware I have loaded on my computers I can plot the
relative position of any known comet and background stars to mag
17. I could go deeper but there's no point is there?

Donal

"Nav" wrote in message
OK, on 1/1/05 at 8.55.11 pm local New York time, comet MACHOLTZ C/2004
Q2 will be will be 2 degrees 2' 4" from HIP17240 (which happens to be a
supergiant star).

I'm unlikely to be in a position where I could see it until mid-January, due
to light pollution.

Perhaps, you could check our weather to find a suitable time when we could
both take a photo after 15th Jan.

Of course, to make the whole thing really interesting, you should use the
two photos to work out the distance to Machholz from the parallex!!!

Regards

Donal