Thom Stewart

Default Neal's New Sails?

Neal,

Excuse me for bringing up a related sailing topic but I've been
wondering about Neal's Hong Kong Sails;

How do you like the free footed main?

What do you say about the shelf?

How have the corners held up on your Main?

I've been wanting to hear from Neal about those sail. I know a true
sailor, like Neal, will give us an honest evaluation.

By the way, old buddy, after a year's sailing, I've found no difference
in the Main without the shelve. Was interested in your thoughts, Neal.

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal®

I guess you didn't read the post where I replied to these
same questions you asked last week? (Remember that?)

Because you still have that silly webTV system I will
be so kind as to answer them again.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Neal,

Excuse me for bringing up a related sailing topic but I've been
wondering about Neal's Hong Kong Sails;

How do you like the free footed main?

The shelf-footed main works great. It has gotten
a little less stiff and does the same job the shelf
on the old North main did. It is not quite as deep
as the North which tends to keep the sail a bit
flatter along the boom, however. Also, it has
a bit less roach.

What do you say about the shelf?

Mentioned above.

How have the corners held up on your Main?

No noticable wear. They are holding up as I
expect a sail to. Of course, I am a professional
and I don't flog my sails like most amateurs do.

I've been wanting to hear from Neal about those sail. I know a true
sailor, like Neal, will give us an honest evaluation.

Do I detect a bit of sarcasm? You, Ole Boy, are one of the few
in this group I respect enough to let you get away with it.

By the way, old buddy, after a year's sailing, I've found no difference
in the Main without the shelve. Was interested in your thoughts, Neal.

I have no basis of comparison on shelf vs. non-shelf as my mainsails have
on this particular yacht always had shelves. I do believe, deep in my
heart, that a shelf-foot does control the vortex that rolls off the
clew and reduces drag caused by an uncrontrolled vortex a free-footer
allows. Computer studies whould show the advantage but I doubt one
could feel any difference via seat of the pants.

Still not convinced it's me, huh?

CN
Thom Stewart

Crapton,

There was no sarcasm meant. It was meant as a compliment. I respect your
comments when asked for. I've never known you to fail when asked a
direct question.

Also, glad to hear you are satisfied with the performance of the sails.
You did get a bargain then.

I'll drink to that,

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

Neal,

I meant to reply about the Vortec shedding. I have no proof, it is only
a gut feeling, but it truly seems that as the boat heals the shedding
isn't any problem. The air seems to rise up the sail rather than down

Glad you're back and glad we are talking about sails.

I will install tell tails along the foot of my sail to see if what I'm
saying can be detected.

I'm probably on my last main but I really don't think I'd ever have
anything but a free footed main again.

Reefed, with the reef tied to the bottom of the sail rather than the
boom, makes for a much better sail.

Ole Thom

Jonathan Ganz

He's lied over and over. Is that who you mean by respecting his comments?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Crapton,

There was no sarcasm meant. It was meant as a compliment. I respect your
comments when asked for. I've never known you to fail when asked a
direct question.

Also, glad to hear you are satisfied with the performance of the sails.
You did get a bargain then.

I'll drink to that,

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Neal,

I meant to reply about the Vortec shedding. I have no proof, it is only
a gut feeling, but it truly seems that as the boat heals the shedding
isn't any problem. The air seems to rise up the sail rather than down

Glad you're back and glad we are talking about sails.

I will install tell tails along the foot of my sail to see if what I'm
saying can be detected.

I'm probably on my last main but I really don't think I'd ever have
anything but a free footed main again.

Reefed, with the reef tied to the bottom of the sail rather than the
boom, makes for a much better sail.

Ole Thom

I'll certainly agree with you on that last point.

The reef points are not beefy enough to have them
tied around the boom. Tie them too tightly and you
could rip or damage the sail. I keep mine real loose
just in case and it does not make as smart a package
as you are able to have tying the reefs under the foot
of the sail but above the boom.

CN
Marc

Capt.Neal, a bit of clarification on your reef comment.
A Sloops Main has only 2 positions for reef points, the luff and the
leach. The intermediate "reef points" as you call them , are not. They
are only there to tie up the bunt or loose sail and are never to be
used to secure the foot of the reefed main to the boom, as you stated.

A reefed main is by definition a loose footed main.
For those with loose footed mains, the ties are not a problem.
The same applies for those with slug footed mains.
Those with bolt roped mains can either secure the ties extra loose
around the boom as you did previously, or can make a slit in the bolt
rope tab with a hot knife and pass the ties through in that fashion.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:14:27 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote:

[...]

Capt. Neal®

You are correct. However, picture a shelf-footed mainsail where
there is no space between its foot and the boom because the
shelf attaches to the slot in the boom via a bolt rope.

There is no way to tie the intermediate reefing cringle lines
with this set-up other than under the boom because no gap
exists between the boom and the sail. It's either leave the
big flap flapping or tie the intermediate reef point lines
under the boom. There is no harm done as long as they
are not tied too tightly as to pull hard on the cringles.

CN

wrote:

[...]

Thom Stewart

Marc,

My old Main was a loose footed main, as Neal has, with a shelve. When I
reefed that sail I never tied the reef points. Just left the sail slab
reefed. Worked OK except when sailing reefed in the rain. There wasn't
nearly enough cockpit to dodge the water dumped when Tacking.

I do have a Pilothouse sloop, so we were usually on the inside helm in
the rain. I could see it as a problem with a single helm boat.

Ole Thom

HELP! Need suggestions on making mast & sails sandy Boat Building 10 February 8th 04 04:24 PM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM
Neal's Awful Sails Bobsprit ASA 32 October 4th 03 03:19 AM
Sails officially ordered. Simple Simon ASA 2 September 10th 03 07:38 AM
Even better prices on working sails. Simple Simon ASA 14 September 4th 03 01:20 PM