Capt. NealŪ

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Neal,

I meant to reply about the Vortec shedding. I have no proof, it is only
a gut feeling, but it truly seems that as the boat heals the shedding
isn't any problem. The air seems to rise up the sail rather than down

Glad you're back and glad we are talking about sails.

I will install tell tails along the foot of my sail to see if what I'm
saying can be detected.

I'm probably on my last main but I really don't think I'd ever have
anything but a free footed main again.

Reefed, with the reef tied to the bottom of the sail rather than the
boom, makes for a much better sail.

Ole Thom

I'll certainly agree with you on that last point.

The reef points are not beefy enough to have them
tied around the boom. Tie them too tightly and you
could rip or damage the sail. I keep mine real loose
just in case and it does not make as smart a package
as you are able to have tying the reefs under the foot
of the sail but above the boom.

CN