Jonathan Ganz

Default has anyone been in a severe knockdown or capsize?

Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Jeff Morris

Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

Was that the bottom of the main or the top of the main? (Or, the good news was I was only in up to
my ankles, the bad news was I was head first.)

John Cairns

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

Summer of 2003 we got caught by a 35kt.? gust on the forward edge of an
extremely large and nasty band of thundershowers while leaving Cleveland-out
of sight of land, no mean feat on Lake Erie-the boat went well over, kids
got scared, blah, blah. I agonized over the decision to leave that morning,
due to the wx, it worked out. Not so much concerned about the wind,
extremely paranoid of a lightning strike. No damage to the boat excepting
the street umbrella/poor man's bimini that got turned inside out. Didn't
have much time to do anything, carelessness and lack of experience on my
part, I think now I would be able to see the wind line and make necessary
changes in sailplan to accommodate the conditions.

John Cairns

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Jeff Morris wrote:
Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

Was that the bottom of the main or the top of the main? (Or, the good news was I was only in up to
my ankles, the bad news was I was head first.)

Actually, the middle. :-) Damn thing came out of nowhere...

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

DSK

Jonathan Ganz scribbled thusly:
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

If solid water didn't pour into the hatch, or at least over the coaming,
then it wasn't a REAL knockdown.

OzOne wrote:
At least once a year....at a guess.

Sounds like fun... do you plan it ahead of time

I've been through several knockdowns, probably several hundred if you
count ones that started out as a spinnaker broachor death roll. One that
stand out in my mind was racing an Olson 30 on day that saw the speedo
hit 18 knots steady.

I remember it because although we broached and dunked the rail several
times that day, one particular time the boat went down hard with at
least 2/3 of the main in the water, the mainsheet slack, the boat being
dragged sideways at maybe 6 or 10 knots making a roaring foamy wake at
both ends. Crew on the high side were hanging from the lifelines, crew
on the lee side were under water. Water was pouring into the cabin and I
was thinking, "well, I hope we don't sink, but if we do, at least it's
not my boat."

Fresh Breezes
Doug King

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
DSK wrote:
I remember it because although we broached and dunked the rail several
times that day, one particular time the boat went down hard with at
least 2/3 of the main in the water, the mainsheet slack, the boat being
dragged sideways at maybe 6 or 10 knots making a roaring foamy wake at
both ends. Crew on the high side were hanging from the lifelines, crew
on the lee side were under water. Water was pouring into the cabin and I
was thinking, "well, I hope we don't sink, but if we do, at least it's
not my boat."

Good thought. Actually, I intended to exclude racing, since it's a lot
more common then.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:
Good thought. Actually, I intended to exclude racing, since it's a lot
more common then.

You're right. Sorry, amend my last post. When cruising or daysailing we
haven't had that happen nearly so often.

We did have a "knockdown" on the Hunter 19 on a day we forgot to fill
the water ballast tank. It was a club gathering, we were running around
the launch area helping other sailors and in the hubbub neither of us
checked the ballast valves. So we're out sailing around, marveling at
how the boat "seems a lot faster today" when WAMMO... a gust laid it
over enough for water to come over the coaming. I'm sure there were
fishes looking in through the cabin windows.

This boat has a rather wide transom and rolling on it's side lifts the
rudder out, so we spun into the wind and levelled out. I said to my
wife, "Did you fill the ballast tank?" "No, did you?"

After that we left the cover to the ballast tank valves off, unless the
tank was *definitely* filled and we were actively sailing. Made it easy
to remember since it was the bottom companionway step.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King