DSK

Jonathan Ganz scribbled thusly:
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

If solid water didn't pour into the hatch, or at least over the coaming,
then it wasn't a REAL knockdown.

OzOne wrote:
At least once a year....at a guess.

Sounds like fun... do you plan it ahead of time

I've been through several knockdowns, probably several hundred if you
count ones that started out as a spinnaker broachor death roll. One that
stand out in my mind was racing an Olson 30 on day that saw the speedo
hit 18 knots steady.

I remember it because although we broached and dunked the rail several
times that day, one particular time the boat went down hard with at
least 2/3 of the main in the water, the mainsheet slack, the boat being
dragged sideways at maybe 6 or 10 knots making a roaring foamy wake at
both ends. Crew on the high side were hanging from the lifelines, crew
on the lee side were under water. Water was pouring into the cabin and I
was thinking, "well, I hope we don't sink, but if we do, at least it's
not my boat."

Fresh Breezes
Doug King