Jonathan Ganz

Default has anyone been in a severe knockdown or capsize?

Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Jeff Morris

Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

Was that the bottom of the main or the top of the main? (Or, the good news was I was only in up to
my ankles, the bad news was I was head first.)

Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
Jeff Morris wrote:
Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

Was that the bottom of the main or the top of the main? (Or, the good news was I was only in up to
my ankles, the bad news was I was head first.)

Actually, the middle. :-) Damn thing came out of nowhere...

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

John Cairns

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com
"If there's no wind, row."

Summer of 2003 we got caught by a 35kt.? gust on the forward edge of an
extremely large and nasty band of thundershowers while leaving Cleveland-out
of sight of land, no mean feat on Lake Erie-the boat went well over, kids
got scared, blah, blah. I agonized over the decision to leave that morning,
due to the wx, it worked out. Not so much concerned about the wind,
extremely paranoid of a lightning strike. No damage to the boat excepting
the street umbrella/poor man's bimini that got turned inside out. Didn't
have much time to do anything, carelessness and lack of experience on my
part, I think now I would be able to see the wind line and make necessary
changes in sailplan to accommodate the conditions.

John Cairns

Jonathan Ganz

In article et,
Gilligan wrote: