John Cairns

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Just wondering... the worst I've been in was having the main touch the
water when we got hit with small whirlywind coming from a marsh.
Popped right back up, and it didn't even disturb the beer in my hand.

--
Jonathan Ganz (j gan z @ $ail no w.c=o=m)
http://www.sailnow.com

Summer of 2003 we got caught by a 35kt.? gust on the forward edge of an
extremely large and nasty band of thundershowers while leaving Cleveland-out
of sight of land, no mean feat on Lake Erie-the boat went well over, kids
got scared, blah, blah. I agonized over the decision to leave that morning,
due to the wx, it worked out. Not so much concerned about the wind,
extremely paranoid of a lightning strike. No damage to the boat excepting
the street umbrella/poor man's bimini that got turned inside out. Didn't
have much time to do anything, carelessness and lack of experience on my
part, I think now I would be able to see the wind line and make necessary
changes in sailplan to accommodate the conditions.

John Cairns