Scout

you see an error in that statement?
Scout

"Magnum" wrote
And you teach electricity?

"Scout" wrote in message
Well IMHO, that is better than an intermittent problem!
If you've got 13 volts at the bulb and a good 12 volt bulb, what's left?
Scout

Scout

Clearly he does not meet the criteria I've stated, hence he has no light,
which was my point.
Shall I spell it out for you?
Ok, I will: he is missing some aspect in his diagnosis when he states he has
13 volts to a good bulb and it doesn't work. Get it?
Scout

"Magnum" wrote in message
ink.net...
And you teach electricity?

Magnum, man of lightning!

"Scout" wrote in message
Well IMHO, that is better than an intermittent problem!
If you've got 13 volts at the bulb and a good 12 volt bulb, what's left?
Scout

"Seahag" wrote in message
No, now they're out full time:^)

Seahag

"Scout" wrote:
so it's working now? what was the problem?
Scout

"Seahag" wrote in message

"Scout" wrote:
If you've got 13 volts at the light bulb end of the wires, then

the
problem
could be:
1. faulty light bulb(s).

Did that.

2. faulty light socket(s) (perhaps oxide has built up on the

bulb,
the
socket, or the wire ends, which could be the resistance you
mentioned).

Did that.

3. faulty light switch(es) (pull the bulb out and check voltage

at
the
socket; make sure the switch is in the ON position).

Did that.

4. loose wire (make sure all terminals are oxide free and tight.

Since
you
have more than one light in this circuit, I'm going to assume

they
daisy
chain (jumper) from one fixture to the next, make sure all wires

are
secure
on all 4 fixtures.

Did that. No longer intermittant. Bill's really happy about

that!

Seahag

Scout

"Seahag" wrote in message
So the aft-most two dome lights (12 volt) on a 4 light circuit

have
been
giving me the blues for a month or so. Intermittant most of

the
time
but
now dead, sort of... Bill replaced the switch on one and they

both
worked
until he left town...After another day of meters and torn up

galley
seems
he's getting 13 volts through the wires but it won't light the
bulb...He's
thinking there is some sort of resistance somewhere. Any

ideas?
Experience? Jokes?? The Taiwanese in their infinite wisdumb
epoxied
the
wires into the deck beams and cabin sides!!!

Seahag
(Dinner's on before dark!)

Scout

Have you read his post carefully? He has stated the high resistance in the
other line, not the ground leg.
Scout

"Magnum" wrote
Good going Mr. Hag! Watch out for ground resistance.

Scout

I'm not sure to whom you are replying but I'll toss in another 2 cents. If
the bulb is good, as he has stated, and the rest of the circuit is intact,
then a voltmeter is appropriate. True, a voltage reading without a load can
be misleading, but it also a piece in the diagnostic puzzle. Had he the 13
volts present without the bulb (i.e., measured at the fixture's terminals)
and lost the voltage when the bulb was subsequently plugged in, then I would
say he has a complete circuit (proven by the first reading) which is unable
to sustain the current, and therefore the potential, possibly do to a high
resistance in the circuit or a faulty power supply (I think we are all
assuming the power supply is not the problem, however).
Scout

"Magnum" wrote in message
ink.net...
Checking voltages is almost useless because the voltmeter is usually 10

Mega
ohms input impedance or more. It draws no current and will always measure
the open circuit voltage. Resistance is a better measurement or voltage
measured under loaded conditions.
A good battery and a weak battery will give the same voltage reading. They
can't supply the same load current because the weak battery has a higher
internal impedance. Just go and review your Thevinin equivalent circuits.

Magnum

"Scout" wrote in message
"Seahag" wrote
The new 20w. halogen bulb alone is 0.9 average.

.9 Ohms? If so, something is wrong here, perhaps with your meter. At .9
ohms, given a 12 volt supply, that bulb would draw 13.3 amps (or 160

watts).
A 20w bulb should have an ohm reading of about 7.2 ohms.

The resistance on the ground side is 1.5 ohms.

from where to where? from the grounded terminal strip to the ground side

of
the bulb socket? That should be closer to zero, but again, I don't know

how
accurate your meter is.

The positive side gives me 255K ohms!

Again, measuring from what point to what point?
One way to double check this before you rip anything apart, is to take a

new
piece of clean, adequately sized wire (14-16 gauge), long enough to

reach
from the fuse or breaker panel that feeds the lights, and do the

following:
1. check the resistance of the new wire (it should be very close to zero
ohms).
2. disconnect the positive wire from the light fixture and twist one end

of
the new wire to the now disconnected fixture wire. make sure they are

clean
and tight.
3. run the other end of the new wire back to the fuse or breaker panel.
4. disconnect the suspect wire from the fuse/breaker and connect your

ohm
meter to these two free ends.
5. if you show high resistance now, break out your saw or find an

alternate
route for your new wire.

I hope this helps. If nothing else, it can confirm suspicions before

ripping
apart anything. I'm a bit concerned about that meter though.
Scout

Too bad the wires are forever berried in epoxy. I have the saw out.

Stay
tuned.

Mr. H.

"Magnum" wrote:

Measure the resistance of the bulb alone. Then measure the

resistance
of
the
wires with the bulb in the socket from the circuit breaker or power
connection. If the bulb is, for instance, 12 watts, it draws 1

ampere.
If
the wire resistance is 5 ohms in addition to the bulb resistance,

you're
looking at a five volt drop in the wires, which is almost the power

of
the
bulb.

Report the resistances of the wires back to me and I'll walk you

through
this.

Magnum

"Seahag" wrote:
[...]

Scout

no offense Magnum,
but it seems you could use a brush up in your electrical skills.
Scout

"Magnum" wrote
And you teach electricity?

Magnum, man of lightning!

Scout

ahh, yes. I stand corrected on that point. Thank you.
Scout

"Magnum" wrote in message
Perhaps resistance increases with temperature as it does with almost all
metals.?

Unless the bulb element is made with germanium.

Horvath

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 16:58:56 GMT, "Scout"
wrote this crap:

"Seahag" wrote
The new 20w. halogen bulb alone is 0.9 average.

.9 Ohms? If so, something is wrong here, perhaps with your meter. At .9
ohms, given a 12 volt supply, that bulb would draw 13.3 amps (or 160 watts).
A 20w bulb should have an ohm reading of about 7.2 ohms.

Anything under 40 ohms is considered a dead short.

Seahag

"Joe" wrote:
"Magnum" wrote:
Joe, wouldn't a short drain the battery or blow the fuse?

Magnum

Yeah if she has breakers or fuses. And I think haggy lives aboard so
most likely she uses a contavolt to keep the batteries charged and
carry the house load.

We have breakers, fuses, and a C-Charger 5000 series charger as well as a
galvanic isolater (something like that anyway).

Seahag

Joe

"Seahag" wrote in message ...
"Joe" wrote:
"Magnum" wrote:
Joe, wouldn't a short drain the battery or blow the fuse?

Magnum

Yeah if she has breakers or fuses. And I think haggy lives aboard so
most likely she uses a contavolt to keep the batteries charged and
carry the house load.

We have breakers, fuses, and a C-Charger 5000 series charger as well as a
galvanic isolater (something like that anyway).

Seahag

So....Did ya find the problem?

Joe

Fishfinder??? Bobsprit ASA 31 January 26th 04 09:06 PM
Strange electrical problem Portside engine Capt. Frank Hopkins General 8 November 19th 03 12:33 AM
back with a problem now Nancy General 14 August 2nd 03 04:43 AM
96 Sea Doo Speedster Starting Problem - Odd Noise From Electrical Box? Curtis CCR General 2 July 19th 03 03:55 AM
Electrical problem Terry Spragg Electronics 1 July 8th 03 04:49 PM