katysails

Default Seamanship Question #8

Have I ever got a story for you. I'll email it if you're interested.
Concerns a couple from down your way. Sordid.

Max

Ih my...email me....can it be the famous lady of the painted sails has risen
on her high heeled pumps again????

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

Have I ever got a story for you. I'll email it if you're interested.
Concerns a couple from down your way. Sordid.

Max

Ih my...email me....can it be the famous lady of the painted sails has

risen
on her high heeled pumps again????

Nope. These folks make Ms. Ruthie look like a kindergarten teacher. I'll
send you a synopsis.

Max

Joe

"Bart Senior" wrote in message . net...
When making up a tow connection, you should
use: [1 pt]

a) Safety Hooks
b) Plain eye hooks
c) Round pin shackles
d) Screw pin shackles

Ok, I'll give it a go.

When towing anything over 25,000 tons I prefer to use a Pelican hook
made for 6 " chain. The six inch chain is long enough to clear the
stern roller. The chain has a wormed screw shackle that is attached to
the 5" samson braid hauser. I like to have at least 1/4 mile of hauser
prefer 1/2 mile. The end of the hauser is attached to a two point
bridle that usually uses round pin shackles to attach to the towed
item.

I like the pelican hook on deck just incase you trip the tow. Or the
tow sinks. No sence in getting pulled under or over.

Joe
Bart Senior

This is a question right out of the USCG exams.

The CG answer is D. Screw Pin shackles.

I assume it's because these are more secure.

Joe wrote

"Bart Senior" wrote
When making up a tow connection, you should
use: [1 pt]

a) Safety Hooks
b) Plain eye hooks
c) Round pin shackles
d) Screw pin shackles

When towing anything over 25,000 tons I prefer to use a Pelican hook
made for 6 " chain. The six inch chain is long enough to clear the
stern roller. The chain has a wormed screw shackle that is attached to
the 5" samson braid hauser. I like to have at least 1/4 mile of hauser
prefer 1/2 mile. The end of the hauser is attached to a two point
bridle that usually uses round pin shackles to attach to the towed
item.

I like the pelican hook on deck just incase you trip the tow. Or the
tow sinks. No sence in getting pulled under or over.

Joe

Joe

"Bart Senior" wrote in message t...
This is a question right out of the USCG exams.

The CG answer is D. Screw Pin shackles.

I assume it's because these are more secure.

They are...... assuming you worm the pin so it can not back out. A
pin shackle in running gear can have it's cotter pin severed and lost,
But in a bind they are easier to remove quickly. A pelican on your end
is for your safety.

I think on anything under 50 foot a good bowline will do the trick,
and a sharp knife for safety.

That question needed more specific application information IMO.
Perhaps Capt. Neal needs to give the test's aurthor a call.

I will file an offical ASA protest with the test graders if you do not
award my point :0(

Joe

Joe wrote

"Bart Senior" wrote
When making up a tow connection, you should
use: [1 pt]

a) Safety Hooks
b) Plain eye hooks
c) Round pin shackles
d) Screw pin shackles

When towing anything over 25,000 tons I prefer to use a Pelican hook
made for 6 " chain. The six inch chain is long enough to clear the
stern roller. The chain has a wormed screw shackle that is attached to
the 5" samson braid hauser. I like to have at least 1/4 mile of hauser
prefer 1/2 mile. The end of the hauser is attached to a two point
bridle that usually uses round pin shackles to attach to the towed
item.

I like the pelican hook on deck just incase you trip the tow. Or the
tow sinks. No sence in getting pulled under or over.

Joe

Jeff Morris

I sent to:
bsenior at optonline.net

The text was:

side/stern/masthead

12/12-20/20-50/50

also, screw pin shackles

Don't you get a lot of spam using your real addy?

I never got a "bounced" message. I guess the explains why you don't get spam!

Seamanship Question #6 Bart Senior ASA 9 July 27th 04 08:20 AM
Seamanship Question #7 Bart Senior ASA 4 July 27th 04 02:44 AM
A question of seamanship? Navigator ASA 16 May 5th 04 11:55 PM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM