Bart Senior

Default Seamanship Question #1

You are sailing upwind, offshore, when your backstay
parts at the masthead. The nearest land is 600 miles
to weather, and you have limited fuel, water, and food.

What should you immediately do? [1 pt]

What steps can you take to prevent the loss of
the whole rig? [1 pt]

What can you use to replace the backstay long enough
to get home? [1 pt]

What else can be done to pull the mast aft to keep
tension on the rig? [1 pt]

Wally

Bart Senior wrote:
You are sailing upwind, offshore, when your backstay
parts at the masthead. The nearest land is 600 miles
to weather, and you have limited fuel, water, and food.

What should you immediately do? [1 pt]

Point the nose into the wind to take the strain off the rig.

What steps can you take to prevent the loss of
the whole rig? [1 pt]

On my wee boat, I might be tempted to trust the double lowers until I can
jury rig something. Ease the jib halyard and maybe slacken the forestay.
Ease the downhaul and sheet the main n hard (or tighten the vang?) to try
and get the leech tighter than the luff? Possibly rig a line around the
mast, over the spreaders, and secure to some aft cleats.

What can you use to replace the backstay long enough
to get home? [1 pt]

Topping lift, perhaps (might not be strong enough), or the main halyard if
its feasible to sail under jib alone. If there's a spinnaker halyard, that
could be used.

What else can be done to pull the mast aft to keep
tension on the rig? [1 pt]

Could drop the main and attach a second line to the head, then raise the
main and secure the new line aft.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

SAIL LOCO

I'd sheet in the main while I brought the second jib halyard to the back of the
boat. In reality however I wouldn't be 600mi. offshore in a small boat.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
Wally

SAIL LOCO wrote:

In reality however I wouldn't be 600mi. offshore
in a small boat.

A good point - I can't see me doing that, either.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Wally

Michael wrote:
By small you mean less than 26' I take it. Never fear you wouldn't
catch me that far out in something less than 20' that's for sure!

My boat is an 18-footer.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Bart Senior

Who said it was small?

SAIL LOCO wrote

I'd sheet in the main while I brought the second jib halyard to the back

of the
boat. In reality however I wouldn't be 600mi. offshore in a small boat.

Wally

Bart Senior wrote:

I'd sheet in the main while I brought the second jib halyard to the
back of the boat. In reality however I wouldn't be 600mi. offshore
in a small boat.

Who said it was small?

I think it came from me referring to my 'wee boat' with the double lowers,
which is an 18-footer.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Michael

Never catch me that far offshore in a 'wee' boat. 26' was small enough
even though it is a proper British built Westerly. BUT they sure are fun to
drive in the right places. My 18 footer was a Mercury class sloop. What do
you have?

Michael

"Wally" wrote in message
Bart Senior wrote:

I'd sheet in the main while I brought the second jib halyard to the
back of the boat. In reality however I wouldn't be 600mi. offshore
in a small boat.

Who said it was small?

I think it came from me referring to my 'wee boat' with the double lowers,
which is an 18-footer.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com
www.wally.myby.co.uk

Scott Vernon

"Bart Senior" wrote ...
Who said it was small?

your last girlfriend.

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
A question of seamanship? Navigator ASA 16 May 5th 04 11:55 PM
Seamanship Question 2 pts plus bonus question. Bart Senior ASA 12 November 3rd 03 05:27 PM