Donal

Default ALT.POLITICS.ASA??????

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
It's especially annoying when the foreigners get involved.

Absolutely correct! Most Iraqis agree with you!!!

Regards

Donal

Wally

katysails wrote:

This is getting ridiculous.....I deleted over 400 posts from last
Thursday night through today...over 90% were political....

Agreed. The odd political post (which I readily ignore, having no interest)
is the nature of the beast, but when you have to *look* for sailing threads
amongst piles of political crap, it's getting to be a bit much.

I wonder how many of the posters of political stuff think they might
actually persuade someone to switch to their preferred party as a result of
posting in here. Judging by the responses I've seen since subscribing to
this NG, I'd say that the chance of such persuasion occurring is 100% zero.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Maxprop

"Wally" wrote in message

katysails wrote:

This is getting ridiculous.....I deleted over 400 posts from last
Thursday night through today...over 90% were political....

Agreed. The odd political post (which I readily ignore, having no

interest)
is the nature of the beast, but when you have to *look* for sailing

threads
amongst piles of political crap, it's getting to be a bit much.

I wonder how many of the posters of political stuff think they might
actually persuade someone to switch to their preferred party as a result

of
posting in here. Judging by the responses I've seen since subscribing to
this NG, I'd say that the chance of such persuasion occurring is 100%

zero.

Wally,

No doubt you've seen or heard this before, but at the risk of sounding
redundant:

ASA is more like a yacht club bar than a sailing forum. The contributors
are like YC members engaging in that most prominent of pastimes following a
day of racing or sailing: chatting about anything and everything. Sailing
IS discussed, but so are politics, relationships, just about anything
interesting to people. ASA is not like rec.boats.cruising, etc.

If you're seeking a strict forum, this ain't the place.

Max

Wally

Maxprop wrote:

ASA is more like a yacht club bar than a sailing forum. The
contributors are like YC members engaging in that most prominent of
pastimes following a day of racing or sailing: chatting about
anything and everything. Sailing IS discussed, but so are politics,
relationships, just about anything interesting to people.

In the bar at my club, the predominant topic is sailing (mostly racing or
what jobs people are doing on their boats). That's followed by club business
(amongst those who administer such stuff) and various non-sailing talk.

ASA is not like rec.boats.cruising, etc.

I'm perfectly aware of this. It is, however, still a sailing newsgroup and
not a politics one. My point was that the ratio of posts on US politics has
been far outstripping the sailing stuff - when you have to *hunt* amongst
the pointless political crap (pointless because nobody is going to make
anyone else switch sides) to find some boat talk, then I think the balance
has swung just a little the wrong way. Round here, we would say to the
politicos, "C'mon guys, screw the nut!".

If you're seeking a strict forum, this ain't the place.

I ain't looking for a strict forum - that's why I'm here.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Donal

"Wally" wrote in message

In the bar at my club, the predominant topic is sailing (mostly racing or
what jobs people are doing on their boats). That's followed by club

business
(amongst those who administer such stuff) and various non-sailing talk.

That explains why so many people are moving down to the South-East.... they
cannot stand the tedium.

Regards

Donal

Wally

Donal wrote:

That explains why so many people are moving down to the
South-East.... they cannot stand the tedium.

Dream on - this is easily the biggest and busiest club on the Forth.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com