BoatBanter.com

-   -   What If #4-Answer (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/20029-what-if-4-answer.html)

Bobsprit June 17th 04 11:42 AM

What If #4-Answer

The clue, of course, was it was raining when the fire started. That means
hatches were probably dogged. Sealing up the companionway may limit oxygen
levels enough to snuff the fire. The Tartan 37 cabin volume is quite moderate.
Binary Bill's answer is essentially correct. Of course, there is no guarantee
that this will work. The fire may continue long enough to sink the boat by
melting seacock hoses open underway.

RB

Flying Tadpole June 17th 04 03:11 PM

What If #4-Answer

More to the point, don't leave liquid fuel open flame fires
untended. Singlehanded? COuld've either
+hove to to boil the billy; not going to run into anyone or
anything nore get distracted, and can be on hand for immediate
fire suppression; or
+set the boat self-steering
Either way, if singlehanded and needing to fire the stove up,
probably need a rest or change anyway.

I do one or t'other, depending on how beset I am by nets, other
boats, lee shores etc. AND fill a coupla thermoses at a time for
a quick drink later

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Faint echoes, sometimes inaudible, of the newsgroup's glorious
past are downloadable at http://music.download.com/internetopera

Bobspirt June 17th 04 04:09 PM

What If #4-Answer

Gosh, now I am nervous. I sure hope no one sues me for giving such incorrect,
dangerous advice in an authoritative manner. Hopefully, anyone reading this
has read my other posts and realizes what a dolt I am when it comes to sailing.

Donal June 17th 04 11:12 PM

What If #4-Answer

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

The clue, of course, was it was raining when the fire started.

Good grief!!

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Sealing up the companionway may limit oxygen
levels enough to snuff the fire.

That is the most stupid thing that I have ever read.

The Tartan 37 cabin volume is quite moderate.
Binary Bill's answer is essentially correct.

Rubbish!

Of course, there is no guarantee
that this will work.

So, why do you suggest that BB gave the correct answer?

The fire may continue long enough to sink the boat by
melting seacock hoses open underway.

Really?

Your ignorance on this subject is quite impressive..... Well done!

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris June 17th 04 11:53 PM

What If #4-Answer

"Donal" wrote in message

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Wow, your crew must suffer on a hot day. There are lots of boats, and lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a hatch open. I
would say that 90% of the time we have a saloon hatch open underway, weather
permitting. Three of our hatches (2 in the galley, one in the head) have been
cracked open for all but a few hours in the last 5 years.

IIRC, the Tartan 37 has a hatch just forward of the companionway that could be
left open in moderate conditions.

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 12:09 AM

What If #4-Answer

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

The clue, of course, was it was raining when the fire started, so open

all the windows and let the rain put it out.

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 12:55 AM

What If #4-Answer

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Oh boy...um......BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 12:56 AM

What If #4-Answer

Sealing up the companionway may limit oxygen
levels enough to snuff the fire.

That is the most stupid thing that I have ever read.

You might want to read up a bit. Closing a door to snuff a fire on a small boat
can work. I've read about it several times. Even in a home, fire safety PSA's
say to "close the door" if you can't fight the fire effectivley.
So...you're wrong again, Donal.

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 12:58 AM

What If #4-Answer

Really?

Your ignorance on this subject is quite impressive..... Well done!

In other words...Donal had no answer and nothing to contribute beyond another
troll. And he wasn't ashamed to be obvious about it.

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 12:59 AM

What If #4-Answer

There are lots of boats, and lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a hatch open.

No, no, no!!! Poor Donal would NEVER open a hatch on a clear hot day!

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 01:00 AM

What If #4-Answer

IIRC, the Tartan 37 has a hatch just forward of the companionway that could be
left open in moderate conditions.

Yup. My C&C's forward hatch will catch a sheet, but a smaller hatch over the
main cabin is often left open with no problem.

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 01:05 AM

What If #4-Answer

don't most cruising boats have vents. I have 2 cowl vents.

Cowl vents probably wouldn't do well at feeding a fire, but that's a good
point. I was also thinking of the vents for the engine. Some T37's have
replaced the dorades with Nicro vents as well.
As I said, closing the hatch MIGHT snuff the fire. At the very least it would
buy you time and that's the whole point if you can't fight the fire properly.
Leaving the companionway hatch open will just hasten the flames.

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 01:06 AM

What If #4-Answer

It may just work....but I'd be looking real hard for another way out.
Even to the point or partially sinking the boat to get water above the
sole to toss on the fire, remembering that you are alone, stupid
enough to only have one fire extinguisher, no fire blanket, no bucket,
no dinghy or raft, and have left a fuel fire un attended.

I like the idea of partially sinking the boat. The "stupid" elements were part
of the question, which obviously dazzled poor Donal.

RB

Jeff Morris June 18th 04 01:27 AM

What If #4-Answer

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 17 Jun 2004 23:55:15 GMT, (Bobsprit) scribbled
thusly:

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Oh boy...um......BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

RB

So you pride yourself on your safety measures yet leave hatches open
while sailing?
Silly boy, it'll bite you one day.

This depends a lot on the boat. Claiming that one rule applies to all boats and
all situations doesn't indicate much experience on your part.

On the other hand, I think everyone gets bit by this one at least once. On my
boat the forward hatches are at severe risk of being flooded because its
possible for a wake to wash up on the foredeck - not often, but enough that the
hatches must be dogged when underway. The saloon hatches, however, have only
seen water once - and that was diving through an 8 foot square wave caused by 25
knots of wind against a 5 knot current at the exit of a canal. This was a very
predictable event, for which we had plenty of notice. (It still scared the crap
out of my wife when she saw the ocean over here head!) Also, I have two aft
hatches facing aft. I can't imaging a case where they would be flooded. One of
them, in the shower, hasn't been sealed in all the time I've had the boat.

BTW, here's a Tartan 37 - note the forward hatch wide open, and the aft hatch
seems to be open facing aft.
http://www.mindspring.com/~sailing_fool/280G.JPG

Horvath June 18th 04 01:33 AM

What If #4-Answer

On 17 Jun 2004 10:42:57 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote this
crap:

The clue, of course, was it was raining when the fire started. That means
hatches were probably dogged. Sealing up the companionway may limit oxygen
levels enough to snuff the fire. The Tartan 37 cabin volume is quite moderate.
Binary Bill's answer is essentially correct. Of course, there is no guarantee
that this will work. The fire may continue long enough to sink the boat by
melting seacock hoses open underway.

You couldn't put out the fire with your whisker pole?

Horvath June 18th 04 01:35 AM

What If #4-Answer

On 17 Jun 2004 15:09:05 GMT, (Bobspirt) wrote this
crap:

Gosh, now I am nervous. I sure hope no one sues me for giving such incorrect,
dangerous advice in an authoritative manner. Hopefully, anyone reading this
has read my other posts and realizes what a dolt I am when it comes to sailing.

We've already found that out.

Horvath June 18th 04 01:36 AM

What If #4-Answer

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:53:45 -0400, "Jeff Morris"
wrote this crap:

"Donal" wrote in message

That means
hatches were probably dogged.

Hatches are always sealed when a sailing boat is underway.

Wow, your crew must suffer on a hot day. There are lots of boats, and lots of
situations where its desirable and permissible to make way with a hatch open. I
would say that 90% of the time we have a saloon hatch open underway, weather
permitting. Three of our hatches (2 in the galley, one in the head) have been
cracked open for all but a few hours in the last 5 years.

I keep my hatches open so my beer don't get too warm.

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 02:49 AM

What If #4-Answer

"Jeff Morris" wrote

This depends a lot on the boat.

and where you are sailing.

On the other hand, I think everyone gets bit by this one at least once.

On my
boat the forward hatches are at severe risk of being flooded because its
possible for a wake to wash up on the foredeck - not often, but enough

that the
hatches must be dogged when underway. The saloon hatches, however, have

only
seen water once - and that was diving through an 8 foot square wave caused

by 25
knots of wind against a 5 knot current at the exit of a canal.

Cape Cod Canal I presume? Cool place.

We took a wave over the bow of the Mac with the forward hatch open, soaked
the v-berth. Learned my lesson.

--
Scotty
S/V Lisa Marie

Horvath June 18th 04 02:52 AM

What If #4-Answer

On 18 Jun 2004 00:00:22 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote this
crap:

IIRC, the Tartan 37 has a hatch just forward of the companionway that could be
left open in moderate conditions.

Yup. My C&C's forward hatch will catch a sheet, but a smaller hatch over the
main cabin is often left open with no problem.

RB

I just have to make sure my winecellar door is shut.

Bobsprit June 18th 04 02:58 AM

What If #4-Answer

So you pride yourself on your safety measures yet leave hatches open
while sailing?
Silly boy, it'll bite you one day.

Not on a quiet day on the sheltered waters of the LIS it won't!
C'mon, Ozzy. You can open a hatch if conditions allow. Don't be silly.

RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 03:01 AM

What If #4-Answer

ok, let's assume you closed the hatch. Now what?

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld, make
some sort of plan.
Whatever you do, you'll have more time to do it with the hatches closed.

RB

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 03:02 AM

What If #4-Answer

"Bob****" wrote ...
So you pride yourself on your safety measures yet leave hatches open
while sailing?
Silly boy, it'll bite you one day.

Not on a quiet day on the sheltered waters of my LIS slip!

Bobsprit June 18th 04 03:02 AM

What If #4-Answer

The fire may continue long enough to sink the boat by
melting seacock hoses open underway.

You couldn't put out the fire with your whisker pole?

Apparently it's too short.

RB

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 03:09 AM

What If #4-Answer

"Bobsprit" wrote

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld,

and which handheld would I be calling from?

make
some sort of plan.

make a plan???

Jeff Morris June 18th 04 03:09 AM

What If #4-Answer

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
seen water once - and that was diving through an 8 foot square wave caused

by 25
knots of wind against a 5 knot current at the exit of a canal.

Cape Cod Canal I presume? Cool place.

Yup - Eastbound, last year. Westbound it happens more often, because the
prevailing SW funnels right up the canal, but the current is a bit less at that
end. This day we had a little "mini Nor'easter" to nail us on the way home. I
had plenty of warning on the radio, including the large cruiser ahead of us
begging the Sandwich Marina for dock space until the tide turned. Although
these waves were nastier than any I had seen on the other end, we soon turned
North and were clear of the current. On the other end of the canal, once you
get into it, there aren't many options but to tough it out for a while.

We took a wave over the bow of the Mac with the forward hatch open, soaked
the v-berth. Learned my lesson.

We were lucky - the time we flooded our berth we had a plastic picnic table
cloth spread out as protection against the cats yacking on the bunk. It
actually contained a few gallons! Its saved us a few times when unexpected
showers caught us off the boat.

Bobsprit June 18th 04 03:15 AM

What If #4-Answer

Time to inflate the raft, get your vest on, call for help on the handheld,

and which handheld would I be calling from?

Doesn't matter. You bought a cheap one, so water got to it anyway. You probably
also keep your handheld in the cabin where it would also be melting from the
flames.

RB

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 03:16 AM

What If #4-Answer

I sat on the west bank one afternoon while working up there, watching the
current and the boats being swept by it. Cool place.

Scotty

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 03:28 AM

What If #4-Answer

"LoserBobsprit" wrote

and which handheld would I be calling from?

Doesn't matter. You bought a cheap one,

YOU don't know that!

You probably
also keep your handheld in the cabin

Wrong! Is that where you keep yours?

Loser RB

Bobsprit June 18th 04 11:07 AM

What If #4-Answer

Doesn't matter. You bought a cheap one,

YOU don't know that!

Yes I do.

RB

Jeff Morris June 18th 04 02:17 PM

What If #4-Answer

Certainly a lot have vents - my Nonsuch did. The PDQ doesn't have any, but it
does have 8 large horizontal hatches, plus 8 side hatches. I think the early
boats were short on hatches, so they went around poking holes wherever they
could.

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 02:30 PM

What If #4-Answer

I believe vents, with proper dorades are more for air circ while the boat is
sitting (in the slip) with all hatches closed.

SV

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 02:31 PM

What If #4-Answer

OzOne wrote in message ...

They're usually for the guys who don't mind sleeping in a wet bunk.

bob's used to it.
..

Flying Tadpole June 18th 04 03:17 PM

What If #4-Answer

Scott Vernon wrote:

I believe vents, with proper dorades are more for air circ while the boat is
sitting (in the slip) with all hatches closed.

SV

If it has proper dorades, they should have their own drains so
that the vents are useable at sea with all the hatches closed and
dogged. My bow dorades spit a bit in heavy chop (when the spa
bath is working)

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------

Scott Vernon June 18th 04 03:27 PM

What If #4-Answer

Yes, mine drain out the side, onto the cabin top. The point was, if the
boat had vents then closing the hatch would be futile.

BTW a buddy had someone (husband of woman he was 'seeing') try to set his
truck on fire. Put a cup of gas in the cab, lit it and closed the door.
Took a bit for the cup to melt and spill the gas ( allowed him a getaway)
which then burned the insides of the cab, but only for a few moments. It
suffocated. The fire chief said that if a window had been cracked open, even
1/4'', the truck would have burnt to the ground.

SV

Flying Tadpole June 18th 04 03:51 PM

What If #4-Answer

Scott Vernon wrote:

Yes, mine drain out the side, onto the cabin top. The point was, if the
boat had vents then closing the hatch would be futile.

No it wouldn't! It'd burn that muych faster and the idiot who
left a naked flame untended wouldn't suffer so long before
incineration/drowning. I'm a firm believer in a little kindness.

BTW a buddy had someone (husband of woman he was 'seeing') try to set his
truck on fire. Put a cup of gas in the cab, lit it and closed the door.
Took a bit for the cup to melt and spill the gas ( allowed him a getaway)
which then burned the insides of the cab, but only for a few moments. It
suffocated. The fire chief said that if a window had been cracked open, even
1/4'', the truck would have burnt to the ground.

Way way back in our training, we were taught to put out fat fires
in fish & chip shops with an asbestos blanket (just smothered)
as this gave the shop owner some chance of recovering some of the
fat (this is soooo long ago that such places weren't required to
have fire blankets...). If one used the alternative of dry
powder, the powder would ruin the remaining fat, wheras all the
asbestos blanket did was give customers over the next 6 months
asbestosis in their future life.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------

Thom Stewart June 18th 04 05:33 PM

What If #4-Answer

Nutsy,

Leaving an unattended fire is a hell of a lot more unseaman like than
sailing with the hatches open!!

If it should happen on MY boat (Galley right across from the head annd
under the companion way) I would use the hand held shower and spray the
fire with water. BUT I would have switched to the inside Steering
Station, which my vessel has and I would have been in attendance.

Ole Thom

Bobsprit June 18th 04 05:52 PM

What If #4-Answer

Leaving an unattended fire is a hell of a lot more unseaman like than
sailing with the hatches open!!

The plot was that you COULDN'T snuff the fire using conventional means. The
answer given was a last resort.

RB

Jeff Morris June 18th 04 07:06 PM

What If #4-Answer

wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:33:23 -0700, (Thom Stewart) wrote:

Nutsy,

Leaving an unattended fire is a hell of a lot more unseaman like than
sailing with the hatches open!!

If it should happen on MY boat (Galley right across from the head annd
under the companion way) I would use the hand held shower and spray the
fire with water. BUT I would have switched to the inside Steering
Station, which my vessel has and I would have been in attendance.

Ole Thom

Not very smart to spray water on burning fuel.

It depends on the fuel. In this case its appropriate.

Thom Stewart June 18th 04 07:21 PM

What If #4-Answer

BB,

The Cushions and Overhead normally aren't considered FUEL.

OT