Navigator

Default For Doug's Sailing Hobby

That's good Kook but I really don't know anything about woodworking I'm
told.

Cheers

katysails wrote:

Long leaf pine is soft?

I did a google search...it is classified as a hardwood type...so there are
hardwood pines and softwood pines...all the pine that grows arund here is
soft...and sappy...

Navigator

OzOne wrote:

On Wed, 5 May 2004 21:20:42 -0400, "katysails"
scribbled thusly:

MC asked: I think that it interesting that wood in question is very
good for a cutting board which to be a good cutting should not dull
knives... Then again, what do I know?

Obviously nothing about culinary arts...I have an oak cutting board and a
maple cutting biard....pine is too soft and the knife marks would allow
juices to seep into the wood...nasty....

Actually it's been shown that wood is an excellent material for
cutting boards.
Apparently the natural protective agents still present in the wood
work to kill off bacteria.
They are much more sterile than plastics.

That's partially true, the tannins in some woods do have that effect. Do
you like tannins in your reds Oz? I prefer very light oaks and lots of
berry fruit myself.

Cheers