Scott Vernon

Default Open Invitation

Lisa's been sending out resumes the last 2 weeks.

Good luck!

Scotty

"katysails" wrote in message
Scotty asked:
Your just going down to check things out, right? Not definite yet?

We've got job interviews scheduled.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

Scotty wished:
Good luck!

Thanks.
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

DSK

N1EE wrote:
Who wants to visit Connecticut for a sail on
my Etchells? I guarantee a fun ride.

OK... I have relatives there so it is a distinct possibility...

Want to go for a sail? The wind is awesome right
now. Bring your foul weather gear.

The wind has been awesome here too. Not too cold either.

Today it was perfect, but I was busy fairing the
big boat. Next step there is two or three days of
sanding. I'd rather sail. Who wants to go?

You should make people pay for their rides by doing some sanding

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

N1EE

I wore a long sleeve T-shirt while sailing yesterday
and felt a little cold. The water is around 40 degrees,
and the air is much warmer. I was somewhat cautious in
that water that cold will kill very fast. If 50 degree
water has a 50% chance of killing in 50 minutes, how long
would a person last in 40 degree water?

Where do your relatives live?

Do you have your traweler in the water yet? What sort
of projects do you have planned for it this year?

Bart

DSK wrote

N1EE wrote:
Who wants to visit Connecticut for a sail on
my Etchells? I guarantee a fun ride.

OK... I have relatives there so it is a distinct possibility...

DSK

N1EE wrote:
I wore a long sleeve T-shirt while sailing yesterday
and felt a little cold.

We've had a series of cold fronts... no foolin' it got below freezing
several times. Day before yesterday it became summer in about 1/2
hour... cloudy & windy & cool to impossibly sunny & 80+ degrees. What
happened to spring? I blame Bush & Rumsfeld of course

... The water is around 40 degrees,
and the air is much warmer. I was somewhat cautious in
that water that cold will kill very fast.

Good idea. I'd probably consider wearing a wet suit.
.... If 50 degree
water has a 50% chance of killing in 50 minutes, how long
would a person last in 40 degree water?

From what I've read & seen, it's hard to be certain but it's a big
risk. Like almost everything in nature, hypothermia casualty rate
follows a bell curve. Some people will die very quickly, some will be
all but impervious. I have personally rescued a young & very fit person
from water that was a little below 40 degrees when he slipped and fell
in... about knee deep but he could not get up and was not breathing on
his own when we dragged him ashore. He was knocked out almost instantly.

Where do your relatives live?

Ridgefield, Norwalk, Groton. My family is all Yankees except for me!

Do you have your traweler in the water yet? What sort
of projects do you have planned for it this year?

Shucks, we never hauled it! We just got back from a cruise down to
Charleston SC. We saw a LOT of snowbird traffic on the ICW, mostly
sailboats that would have been better suited to "outside" transits IMHO.

We did take the time to do some exploring, made the side trip up the
beautiful Waccamaw River to Conway SC. Went over to Bald Head Island
(Cape Fear NC) and bicycled around.

Projects for this year are putting in a bigger battery bank, a windlass,
maybe a fuel polishing/booster pump. Finishing the dinghy! And of
course the usual fix-up & maintenance, such as replacing the VHF
antennae that I busted and keeping up all the varnish.

In all, I'd rather be sailing an Etchells. Well, the tugboat definitely
has it rewards.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jonathan Ganz

Many people go into cardiac arrest and don't get a chance to
have hypothermia.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..
N1EE wrote:
I wore a long sleeve T-shirt while sailing yesterday
and felt a little cold.

We've had a series of cold fronts... no foolin' it got below freezing
several times. Day before yesterday it became summer in about 1/2
hour... cloudy & windy & cool to impossibly sunny & 80+ degrees. What
happened to spring? I blame Bush & Rumsfeld of course

... The water is around 40 degrees,
and the air is much warmer. I was somewhat cautious in
that water that cold will kill very fast.

Good idea. I'd probably consider wearing a wet suit.
.... If 50 degree
water has a 50% chance of killing in 50 minutes, how long
would a person last in 40 degree water?

From what I've read & seen, it's hard to be certain but it's a big
[...]

Navigator

DSK wrote:

In all, I'd rather be sailing an Etchells. Well, the tugboat definitely
has it rewards.

The smell and noise?

Cheers MC

Donal

"Navigator" wrote in message

DSK wrote:

In all, I'd rather be sailing an Etchells. Well, the tugboat definitely
has it rewards.

The smell and noise?

Welcome back Nav.

Have you been away ... or have you been sulking?

Regards

Donal

DSK

DSK wrote:
In all, I'd rather be sailing an Etchells. Well, the tugboat
definitely has it rewards.

Navigator wrote:
The smell and noise?

If you were invited along, no doubt yes.

DSK

N1EE

I went sailing alone yesterday. Made a quick trip
out the channel, and touched the last two buoys as
I turned around. Well, halfway home, the wind
shifted, dropped, and then quit completely. I
paddled for a while and then hitched a tow the
last 1/4 mi to the boat club.

Powerboats do have their advantages. And I
appreciated the tow.

Today, the current was ripping along at max ebb!
I need to measure it sometime. It looks like 5
knots, maybe 6 knots or more! Someone told me the
Housatonic River has the strongest currents in
New England. It was as bad as the worst I've
seen in New Jersey. Plus the spring run off
makes it worse

I wanted to go sailing today, but chickened out. I
was worried about running agound, by myself, when
the tide was dropping at it's fastest--at least a
foot an hour, and two feet in two hours. Getting
stuck could mean sitting there for more than five
hours.

Now the water temperature is up to 52 degrees. The
water makes the air much cooler on the water. I
couldn't get in to push myself off a sandbar, nor
did I want to risk sitting out in a cold boat
waiting for hours for the tide to rise.

Since I'm 8 for 10 times running aground in the
river in the 12 months, I decided to go put another
coat of fairing material on the big boat instead.
I just finished 16 hours of sanding--so fairing is
a welcome change.

In any event, it was wonderful sailing yesterday,
and it would have been fun to go out today--in a
powerboat.

Bart

Navigator wrote in

Boat Show/ Open House Kevin General 0 April 16th 04 07:12 AM
Actually an open mind about Harry Potter is also an open mind about evolution. Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 September 9th 03 01:53 PM
Loch Lyon /Loch Ericht Fergie UK Paddle 5 September 7th 03 09:49 PM
(OT) And for the open minded clear thinkers Capt. Frank Hopkins General 1 September 4th 03 06:42 PM