John Cairns

Default Why don't you guys just leave it alone

Pretty obvious by now, "Jim Cate" is just a troll, pretty successful one at
that. If he isn't and he ends up doing what he claims he's going to do, you
probably won't be hearing much from him down the road. If he is, which I
strongly suspect, he's got everyone here, almost everyone, firmly hooked.
Now I will admit he hooked me but unless it's blatantly obvious(politics or
something of that nature) I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
It is blatantly obvious that "Jim" is just trolling along, he admitted as
much very recently when he posted..................

"Actually, I knew what I was getting into when
I decided to defend the Macs on this ng, since this group has been
bashing them for a number of years."

Which would make his initial posts, claiming he wanted "opinions" about the
mac, bald-faced lies. Which would greatly increase the probability that
everything he has posted is untrue. Wouldn't surprise me if this was the
Boob, you know how much he loved to troll.
John Cairns

katysails

John:
Wouldn't surprise me if this was the
Boob, you know how much he loved to troll.

We've already speculated that that may be the case....this guy hasn't
launched into vague ad hominem attacks, though, like the Booby...he's stuck
on the same page....and his writing is much more coherent, even though
monotonous....I say "no", but it could be Gilly having a bit of sport....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

felton

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:45:46 -0400, "katysails"
wrote:

John:
Wouldn't surprise me if this was the
Boob, you know how much he loved to troll.

We've already speculated that that may be the case....this guy hasn't
launched into vague ad hominem attacks, though, like the Booby...he's stuck
on the same page....and his writing is much more coherent, even though
monotonous....I say "no", but it could be Gilly having a bit of sport....

If only it were that simple. A quick perusal of google will reveal
that "Jim Cate" has been a long time poster and apparent resident of
the Houston area, with interests in astronomy, opera and so on. At
first I thought it might be Neal back to entertain us with a whopper
of a troll, but alas, he seems to be serious. Hard to believe, I
know...
katysails

Felton related: Jim Cate" has been a long time poster and apparent resident
of
the Houston area, with interests in astronomy, opera and so on.

Ah...opera.....Jim, I sang with the opera chorus of the Grand Rapids Opera
for years. What are your favorites? The conductor here is also the
conductor for the New Orleans Opera...Robert Lyall....we had a baritone come
up from the Houston Opera tpo sing in a production of _Don Giovanni_ a while
ago...was a most impressive baritone...

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Jim Cate

katysails wrote:

Felton related: Jim Cate" has been a long time poster and apparent resident
of
the Houston area, with interests in astronomy, opera and so on.

Ah...opera.....Jim, I sang with the opera chorus of the Grand Rapids Opera
for years. What are your favorites? The conductor here is also the
conductor for the New Orleans Opera...Robert Lyall....we had a baritone come
up from the Houston Opera tpo sing in a production of _Don Giovanni_ a while
ago...was a most impressive baritone...

My favorites include Carmen, Aida, La Boheme, Don Giovani, Carmen, Magic
Flute, Flying Dutchmen (and most of the Ring), all Verdi pieces, etc. I
have season tickets to the Houston Grand Opera, and they seem to be into
lots of premieres of new operas. Rene Fleming is a Houston "graduate,"
and she returned to sing here last year. - - I'll look forward to
listening to some opera played on the stereo of my new Mac 26M. I'm also
into audio and surround sound, and I'm building a collection of opera
performances on DVD. - Some of them are pretty spectacular.

Jim

felton

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:41:50 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

katysails wrote:

[...]

I don't care for opera and even I know that La Boheme is by Puccini,
not Verdi. Damn.
Jim Cate

Jim Cate wrote:

katysails wrote:

[...]

Did I mention Carmen?

Incidentally, can you suggest any opera themes or characters that might
relate to sailing (e.g., Flying Dutchman)?

jim

katysails

Jim admitted: My favorites include Carmen, Aida, La Boheme, Don Giovani,
Carmen, Magic
Flute,

OK, you're partially redeemed, but you can keep the Wagner.....actually, I
can see you storming across Galveston Bay, all 50 hp blazing, with the "Cry
of the Valkyrie" blasting out of the portholes....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

John Cairns

"katysails" wrote in message
John:
Wouldn't surprise me if this was the
Boob, you know how much he loved to troll.

We've already speculated that that may be the case....this guy hasn't
launched into vague ad hominem attacks, though, like the Booby...he's

stuck
on the same page....and his writing is much more coherent, even though
monotonous....I say "no", but it could be Gilly having a bit of sport....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Don't know about the coherent bit, spell checker can work wonders, most of
the crap appears to be copied verbatim from the mac lit, which would make
this individual either incredibly gullible or mentally ill. Could be
Gilligan, of course, make it "mental illness", in that case.
John Cairns

Jim Cate

John Cairns wrote:

Pretty obvious by now, "Jim Cate" is just a troll, pretty successful one at
that. If he isn't and he ends up doing what he claims he's going to do, you
probably won't be hearing much from him down the road. If he is, which I
strongly suspect, he's got everyone here, almost everyone, firmly hooked.
Now I will admit he hooked me but unless it's blatantly obvious(politics or
something of that nature) I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.
It is blatantly obvious that "Jim" is just trolling along, he admitted as
much very recently when he posted..................

As mentioned in previous notes, I was hoping to get some substantive
information about the Mac 26M and several other boats before making a
decision last month. - The only thing I got was a series of Mac
Bashings posted by contributors who didn't know what the hell they were
talking about. None of them had sailed the 26M, and most of them didn't
even know that the 26M was different from the 26x.

I'm incredulous that you would characterize ME as being a troll. I was
making a sincere effort to collect information about several boats,
including the Mac, but also including several others. If my wife hadn't
been so negative about the ratty interior of the Cal 34, I was ready to
put a deposit on it and get a survey.

"Actually, I knew what I was getting into when
I decided to defend the Macs on this ng, since this group has been
bashing them for a number of years."

Which would make his initial posts, claiming he wanted "opinions" about the
mac, bald-faced lies. Which would greatly increase the probability that
everything he has posted is untrue. Wouldn't surprise me if this was the
Boob, you know how much he loved to troll.
John Cairns

In addition to the obviously biased, obviously uninformed "opinions"
that I anticipated from past experiences on this ng, I had hoped that I
would also get some substantive, factual information from at least a few
knowledgeable contributors who had actually sailed the 26M, or who at
least knew what what they were. Instead, I got a long serious of
opinionated garbage from ng members who wasted most of a week trying to
convince me that the "old" boat was the same thing as the "new" boat. In
other words, despite the fact that they had no idea what the 26M was,
they still tried to put me down for giving them some specs regarding the
boat. (I was only repeating Rogers advertising, they said, and the boat
probably didn't really have a different hull, different keel, different
sails, different ballast system, etc., etc. - I was just sucked in by
MacGregor's advertising.)

I asked for information, I got none, I then researched the matter and,
with consideration of my wife's preferences of my wife, made the
decision to get the Mac 26M. - This isn't trolling, under any rational
definition.

Jim