Art's Mail

Default Leave it in or Take it out??

My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have any
advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior to
Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

Art

Ed

I assume this is a big boat (over 30+ feet)
Boat is better in the water UNLESS
-you have a hurricane proof shed or other protected land storage OR
-if the boat is in OPEN water area where waves would damage it OR
-if piles are short where the boat would ride over them if the surge
goes up or the piles are weak and would tear away. (I know of several
boats in the bahamas that rode up inthe surge and landed on their piles
and sunk)
why? A boat on supports is very easy to tip over even if you double up
the supports.

If you are leaving it in the water:
-use every cleat you have and attach to every pile or cleat or TREE
available with LONG Lines (Typically the whole length of the boat) so
the surge will not sink the boat.
-Double all critical lines AND USE HOSES (or other chafe protection)
AROUND THEM AT THE CHAFE POINTS. (a friend of mine had a NEW 3/4" nylon
line part last weekend in 12 hours in 25-30 kt wind in Bimini)
-remove outriggers and lower antennas
-remove canvas (they act like sails) or secure it best you can and hope
for the best.
-Shut off ALL DC except for the pumps. If you have an AC-DC fridge...
EMPTY IT and shut off the DC breaker. (When AC goes out.... DC will
kill batteries and sink boat)
-I leave battery charger connected so I have full power to the batts
until the AC power goes out on it's own.
-If you are on a narrow canal with little or no traffic, consider tying
up in the middle of the canal across both sides
-If all your pumps are connected to one battery I would split them up OR
if both batteries are good, put parrallel switch to BOTH.
-Set your anchor with a 12:1 scope to windward. If you have TWO set
them both at 45' angles on different cleats. (this is VERY helpful if
you have no dolphins... set them both seaward)
-Lots of fenders although your should count on dolphins and anchors to
protect, not fenders.
-FINAL RULE.... HELP YOUR NEIGHBORS TIE UP THIER BOATS EVEN IF THEY ARE
NOT ARROUND... WHY? SO THEY WON'T LAND ON YOUR BOAT.

Good luck.... I live in FLL and we just dodged the bullet... hope you do
as well.

Ed

GAZ wrote:
GOD might!

"Art's Mail" wrote in message
.net...

My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have

any

advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior

Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

Art

Art's Mail

yes - I was thinking about calling the ins co. and see what they prefer.

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
It's insured right?

"Art's Mail" wrote in message
.net...
My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have

any
advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior

Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

Art

Kevin Anderson

What steps should be taken if the boat is kept on a trailer?
I have a 25' Baja I keep on the trailer, I don't know what to do if a storm
approached me.

"Ed" wrote in message ...
[...]

GAZ wrote:
GOD might!

"Art's Mail" wrote in message
.net...

My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have

any

advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior

Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

Art

Joe

"Kevin Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
What steps should be taken if the boat is kept on a trailer?
I have a 25' Baja I keep on the trailer, I don't know what to do if a

storm
approached me.

I fill mine with water and tie it to the ground with 4 mobile home anchors.

Harry Krause

"Kevin Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
What steps should be taken if the boat is kept on a trailer?
I have a 25' Baja I keep on the trailer, I don't know what to do if a

storm
approached me.

If the storm doesn't change course, I'll tow the Parker on her trailer
to ground higher than any possible storm surge, probably my driveway,
and park her away from any trees. I've got two 50' lengths of 3/4" rope,
which I might run across the boat and tie to some heavy duty ground stakes.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Himm

Art's Mail wrote:
My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have any
advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior to
Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

Art

Are you trying to impress Isabelle?

Keith

Take everything out and fill it with water.

--

Keith
__

"Ed" wrote in message ...
[...]