noah

Default Leave it in or Take it out??

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:41:17 GMT, "Art's Mail" wrote:

My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have any
advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior to
Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

Art

Art, as someone else mentioned, you didn't say what size the boat is.
If it's trailerable, that gives you some options to wait-and-see where
this 'caines going.

Current forecast puts it ashore in N/S Carolina, heading for Western
NY. This could chnge.

noah
Dan Krueger

I'm in S. Florida and they tell us specifically NOT to do that. Even if you
*could* get 1000 gallons of water in your boat if you are close enough to the
storm it won't make any difference aside from adding to the weight of the
tumbling mess. You might also want to consider what damage that would cause to
anything inside the boat you can't remove as well as the added weight on the
trailer. Take another look at the small areas the boat actually rests on the
trailer and think about what another 3,000 to 6,000 pounds will do.

Another common myth is that you should throw all of your lawn furniture into
your (inground) pool. Evidently a storm like that will pull the furniture out
and still send it flying.

We hear it every year at the beginning of the "season".

Good luck,
Dan

Keith wrote:
Take everything out and fill it with water.

Steven Shelikoff

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:41:17 GMT, "Art's Mail" wrote:

My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have any
advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior to
Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

I'm in the same boat as you are, tied up in a slip in a south jersey
marina. I just got a call from my marina saying people are pulling
their boats and and asking what I want to do. Unfortunately, mine is
not trailerable and if I pull it out, it's just going to be sitting on
the hard somewhere down the on the jersey shore. That's probably more
vulnerable then being in the water.

Is yours trailerable? Can you get it somewhere safe in time? If so,
then I'd pull it out. If not, leave it in and pray it doesn't hit S.
Jersey that bad.

Steve
F330 GT

My boat is tied up in a slip in a south jersey marina - does anyone have any
advice on whether I should leave it in the water or have it pulled prior to
Isabelle's arrival? I've heard two schools of thought on the subject.

I'm in the same boat as you are, tied up in a slip in a south jersey
marina. I just got a call from my marina saying people are pulling
their boats and and asking what I want to do. Unfortunately, mine is
not trailerable and if I pull it out, it's just going to be sitting on
the hard somewhere down the on the jersey shore. That's probably more
vulnerable then being in the water.

Is yours trailerable? Can you get it somewhere safe in time? If so,
then I'd pull it out. If not, leave it in and pray it doesn't hit S.
Jersey that bad.

Steve

Don't forget that lots of damage can be caused by the high tides that come with
the storm. You better have someone close by that can check on the boat and
adjust the lines if you plan on leaving it in the water. Keep an eye on where
the tide is as the hurricane approaches.

We had tides 15 to 20 feet above normal when Hurricane Andrew hit. I have first
hand knowledge of a 37 ft sailboat that pulled up four pilings and ended up 20
feet up on a pool deck.

Barry

Steven Shelikoff

On 16 Sep 2003 21:03:49 GMT, ospam (F330 GT) wrote:

[...]

I just got back from moving my boat to a more secure slip, doubling and
tripling up the dock lines, setting extra spring lines, etc. It looks
like it won't be that bad down in South Jersey. But I do know that a
lot of people did bring their boats up to Philly. The storm surge is
supposed to be at least 12 feet with this one. But that's only ahead of
the center. Out on the edges, it won't be as bad. I'm tied off to
floating docks and it would have to get pretty high for the floating
docks to float off the pilings. 12 feet would do it though, no problem.
But I don't think that's going to happen this time in S Jersey.

Steve
Art's Mail

I just got back from the marina myself. As you said, it doesn't look like it
is going to be that bad in south jersey. I made the decision to leave my 35
footer in the water. I dropped the canvas, doubled up on all lines and also
added an additional spring line and some extra fenders. I figure I can
withstand a 6' rise in tide before the pilings start pulling out or the boat
starts going under:-) If we do get a 6' rise the boat would have come close
to floating off the blocks anyway so that's why I left it in, figured my
chances were just as good. Besides, I'll get some more use out of the boat
this way since boating season just started.

Thanks to all for the advice and hope everyone makes it through this one.

Art