JAXAshby

Default Ta Tah! 4th roots explained

jeffies will twist in the wind for days trying to figure out how to google the
info on algebraicly calc'ing 4th roots

Already he is posting info about companies that failed in the early 1990's, and
another company that suceeded in the 1990's to show that something available in
the 1950's didn't exist. If I asked him what a "flop" is in the context he is
using he would turn eight shades of red (hint jeffies, google "giga-flop" and
see what you get).

so let me put that dog jeffies out of his misery.

jeffies, it is mathematically impossible to calculate algebraicly the nth root
for any n higher than 3.

if you had the background to even attempt to try to get the degree in physics
you claim you have, you would have known that long before you started college.

I did. and there was no google in those days.

now, jeffies, go mutter.

Jeff Morris

Giga-flops? That's passé! I only deal in teraFLOPs.

Please explain why your method for square roots (not yours, actually, you only
posted a link to it, I'm sure you never read it) is substantially different from
the Newton's Method for solving higher roots. Both iterate, making successively
closer approximations. The only difference is that the traditional "longhand"
methods you linked to avoid estimating larger than the answer, thus it takes
more iterations to work. When its decomposed, it reveals manipulations similar
to Newton's, but less effectively.

Your claim that the "high school" method is "algebraic" while Newton's is
something different is simply nonsense. Further, while you were able to post
links to algorithms for square and cubed roots, I provided and explained the
fourth root, which I've actually used professionally.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

jeffie, read the damn thing. It is NOT an approximation except for the very
last digit calculated.

*IF* you had the education you *claim* you have you would have known this
before you got out of high school (no college allows totally ignorant science
clowns to take physics class past the first semester, if they let them take any
at all) AND ...

.... you could understand the explanations given on the sites.

dude, that stuff was taught to every last college bound high school student in
the land, at least the sq rt calc (and theory) was. the cb rt calc (same
theory as sq rt) was more cumbersome (you will seen that *if* you even try to
understand it) and really had not practical utility for anyone who understood
what a log table is.

in fact, newton's ***approximation*** (and a damned cumbersome one until
electronic calc became widely available. most people who needed nth rt calcs
regularly owned a set of log tables.

jeffies, your ignorance astounds me. (Kriste, dude, you dont even know what the
word "algebraic" means) The fact that you keep wishing to tell the world again
and again and again how ignorant you are astounds me even more.

geesh dude. I set a simple trap for you and you jump in with both feet,
claiming you _like_ the feeling of steel jaws around your ankles.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

Giga-flops? That's passé! I only deal in teraFLOPs.

So. Why did you use the term flip-flop?

Jeff Morris

TeraFlops are a new version of flip-flops put out by Teva.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Giga-flops? That's passé! I only deal in teraFLOPs.

So. Why did you use the term flip-flop?

Jeff Morris

Your version of the square root is an approximation, just like Newton's Method.
There really isn't that much difference except that Newton's converges quicker.
Your method makes the best guess, digit by digit, without going over, Newton's
allows it to oscillate, but converges quicker.

If you think there's some deep difference between the two, feel free to explain,
but your ranting so far have only shown that you haven't a clue.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
[...]

JAXAshby

yeah, right.

actually, more than might be expected from one who claims an art degree in
physics from potato state.

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
Giga-flops? That's passé! I only deal in teraFLOPs.

So. Why did you use the term flip-flop?

Thom Stewart

Jeff,

Out of curiosity, what in the world would you use Quad Root for?

Ole Thom

Best 34 foot blue water cruiser Bob Whitaker Cruising 246 April 7th 04 04:10 AM
Oil Shortage Explained Calif Bill General 6 March 26th 04 06:28 AM
Bermuda triangle mystery explained Jonathan Ganz ASA 15 January 21st 04 04:59 AM
Green Flash explained Simple Simon ASA 0 October 16th 03 07:14 PM
No, No, No! It FLEW OVER THE PENTAGON was The Pentagon Fraud Explained In Simple Terms Bertie the Bunyip ASA 10 August 11th 03 11:35 AM