JAXAshby

Default How many beers before jaxie starts to make sense?

from u-boatopia, of course.

really? from where?

"JAXAshby" wrote ...
sail powered u-boats got on this
side of the atlantic.

Scott Vernon

really? from where?

"JAXAshby" wrote ...
sail powered u-boats got on this
side of the atlantic.

JAXAshby

Default How many beer boxes needed to navigate an ocean?

don't know anything about RDF as used
on ships,

of course, RDF on ships IS different from RDF on sailing vessels IS different
from RDF in aircraft IS different from RDF in blimps.

yup, totally different. Different concept, different equipment, different
training, different accuracy. Different everything. All the way back to 1920
when RDF became actual.

but, you knew that didn't you over the nee?

In other words, you could not trust your navigation skills

it wasn't the nav skills we didn't trust, it was the charts. But I was in good
company. the career merchant marine and experienced ocean racer didn't trust
them either.

but you -- over the nee -- would blindly drive on a flank speed, right?
jeffies said he would and did in a fog. are you not the sailor jeffies is?

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
sail powered commercial shipping was kaput long before any u-boats got on this
side of the atlantic.

No it wasn't

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
oh? and just when was sail powered commercial shipping considered to be kaput
as a cost effective transport mechanism?

Depends on where you are in the world. In some areas they are still
making money. In WW2, there were still a number of them sailing. WW2 was
probably the final straw.

otn

Jeff Morris

"JAXAshby" once again demonstrated his stupidity with:
jeffie, no RDF on any sailboat gave "accuracy" to withing 5*, let alone 2*.
Your statement just shows you have no idea how RDF works.

jaxie, you've never seen one, let alone used one.

wondering if you've passed Portland or Monhegan the RDF
is very handy.

that is "5 degrees" by your estimation above? yeah, un huh.

Don't go to Maine, jaxie, it would be too scary for you.

millions of people sailed before the GPS was invented.

No kidding?

Nope. Millions.

wanna take a guess how many of those who wandered around in a fog with granite
ledges in the water made port? For your information, approximated 25% of ALL
commercial shipping vessels made in the last 50 years of sail powered shipping
sunk before the boats were retired. one in four. That is what fog and

granite
is for, to sink ships. ask around with the old timers and see what they did
say 40 years ago.

They used RDF for approaches. I think you're have a little problem with dates,
jaxie. RDF was not used (certainly not commonly) in the "last 50 years of sail
powered shipping." For instance, the last coffee-carrying sailing ship docked
in New York in 1914. The first radiobeacons were not set up until the '20's.
The automated lighthouse radiobeacons soon followed. It was because the US
adopted radiobeacons that it had one of the best safety records in the middle of
the last century.

btw, well into the 1970's and even into the 1980's a cheap tranistor radio

from
Radio Schack was considered an acceptable alternative to the commercially
available RDF units for recreational sailboats. Why a cheap radio from Radio
Schack? Because the cheap radio had a more directional antenna than the

better
quality radios. I believe Hal Roth used a Radio Schack radio into the 1970's
and carried it as back up even later.

Good for him. What's your point? You seem to be agreeing that it is useful.
But you're wrong that the pocket radios were preferable, that's just a myth.
There were certainly people saying "I can do just as well with my pocket radio"
but have used both, I can tell you it isn't true.

Getting "within 20 seconds of turning back" is
NOT something that happens to an experienced mariner in this situation.

really? you mean that career merchant marine was inexperienced?

The fact that he took you as a crew is proof enough for anyone here that he was
a desperate loser!

I kinda think
of him as a bit more seaman than some clown plowing through the granite ledges
of Maine listening to rock music radio stations (and a couple of dit dah dah
dit dah stations) to determine where he was.

Then why was he lost with 3 GPS's and a Loran on board? It sure seems like I
had a better idea of where I was.

You keep trying to prove to us that you're a great mariner because you were near
someone else that you think was great. But your stories just show that you had
no idea what was going on. You were scared ****less thinking you were about to
hit "rocks" that don't exist.

If you were within "20 seconds of turning back" it means you thought you were
within a few hundred yards of disaster. But the charts are pretty clear: as
long as you had 20 fathoms of water you weren't within 10 miles of a hazard.
Even at 10 fathoms, you'd stay miles from the shoals. You weren't "threading
the needle" in some DownEast tickle, you were rounding Diamond Shoals Light - 15
miles offshore, 8 miles from the shoals, with an 18 mile light. You had 3
GPS's, a Loran, and I assume a depth sounder. If you had the least doubt as to
where you were, you're a damn fool! If you were trying to "cut the corner"
inside of the light you're a damn fool. If you were about to "turn back" you're
a damn fool. So tell us, jaxie, what kind of fool are you?

btw, that paper sextant you said you carried and used in the fog to tell where
you were, didn't the moisture in the fog cause the paper to fall apart?

Its stayed tucked away for 25 years now, I've only used it a few times.

otnmbrd

JAXAshby wrote:
don't know anything about RDF as used
on ships,

of course, RDF on ships IS different from RDF on sailing vessels IS different
from RDF in aircraft IS different from RDF in blimps.

yup, totally different. Different concept, different equipment, different
training, different accuracy. Different everything. All the way back to 1920
when RDF became actual.

but, you knew that didn't you over the nee?

ROFL Nice try, but it does nothing to change the fact YOU don't know how
to use it, how it can be used. It tells me you are unaware of the
problems of a ship (be it sail or power) trying to use an RDF signal set
up for aircraft .... it tells me you are not aware of how to obtain a
position ....it tells me you are slinging your usual BS to cover up the
fact you are a rank amateur with minimal skills and knowledge of navigation.

In other words, you could not trust your navigation skills

it wasn't the nav skills we didn't trust, it was the charts. But I was in good
company. the career merchant marine and experienced ocean racer didn't trust
them either.

Why? and don't give me the good seamanship BS, cause you wouldn't know
good from bad, and until you can tell me what this career merchant
mariner was, I'll consider him a career BR.
BTW, If you didn't trust the charts, you shouldn't have been anywhere
near land or shoals, and screw the current. (I find it interesting, that
considering the amount of ship traffic which passes this area daily,
that some s'posed career merchant mariner wouldn't trust the charts,
unless he was cutting too close to the shoals, and wouldn't have a good
idea as to how far off he could be and miss the current)
I know you don't have a clue about navigation, Jax, but your post are
beginning to indicate that your career merchant mariner BR, didn't either.

but you -- over the nee -- would blindly drive on a flank speed, right?
jeffies said he would and did in a fog. are you not the sailor jeffies is?

Merchant ships don't use the term "flank speed" (that's Navy), and no, I
never drive on, without knowing where I was or was going, but unlike you
and your so-called career merchant mariner, I always have more than one
way to confirm my position, when in "pilottage" waters.
You flunk the test (as it were) if you needed to see a particular light
under those conditions to confirm your position. You s'posedly had other
methods of navigation and either were incapable of using them or
inexperienced in knowing how to (I'd opt for the last two).

otn