otnmbrd

Default How many beer boxes needed to navigate an ocean?

JAXAshby wrote:
jeffies, if you "navigated" through fog off Maine using just an RDF, either you
didn't understand just how lucky you were, or you were purposely trying to kill
yourself.

RDF gets you "kinda close" but that's about it. It is good for know
approximately where you are.

You really do need to get some training, Jax. RDF was frequently used as
an approach system to obtain some reasonably accurate positions, which
could be augmented by other methods, or augment those other methods to
get some very accurate positions, especially when used by an experienced
operator with a calibrated receiver.

So, did you understand the danger you put yourself in or didn't you?

btw jeffies, why your claim now that you are willing to blunder around blindly
in a fog along a rocky coast where in the past you claimed EVERYone needed a
sextant as a backup in case "all the electronics went bad"

G You still haven't learned that a sextant is normally used for
offshore navigation.

btw-2, we did indeed have a gps etc but we knew enough not to trust the charts
as close as we were going. If we didn't find the light where we expected to
find it, we would turn around. We found it. you, on the over hand, claim you
just blundered on.

If you didn't trust the charts, why?, and why were you running that
close if this was the case? Sounds like some bad decision making when
doing your route planning.

otn