Jeff Morris

Default How many beer boxes needed to navigate an ocean?

Hey jaxie, you're the one who had three GPS's and Loran and was still afraid of
hitting the "rocks" at Cape Hatteras. You even showed a picture of the surf ten
miles away from the light to show how dangerous it was. Your first comment on
the experience was that it would be impossible without a GPS!

I used to cruise the Maine coast, often going 30 miles off shore and making
landfall in the fog with nothing more than a Ray-Jefferson RDF. I also carried
a paper "lifeboat sextant" but had little occasion to use it. You, on the other
hand, are scared ****less of being within 10 miles of shoals, even with 3 GPS's
on board! If you just learned how to read a chart and use a compass the world
wouldn't be such a scary place, jaxie!

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
dougies and jeffies and others seem eternally worried about NAVIGATING AT SEA
without triple redundant gps's, RDF, working C. Plath sextant, Almanac,
chronometer and SSB for time clicks.

This sailor -- who has sailed something more than a Hunter 19 or training
wheels -- thinks a single cardboard beer box is enough.

"When we asked what Babe would use to navigate, he pulled out a crude
astrolabe-like device he made from the cardboard from a beer box. "With this,

can get my position, without tables or a watch, to within 60 miles."

see link for more of the story:

http://www.latitude38.com/LectronicL...#anchor1085433