Jonathan Ganz

Default Lifelines

Really? That's pretty standard information. They're about knee height as
well.
Not exactly the right height to prevent a fall.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
you shouldn't be relying on them anyway. They're the grap of
last resort.

Last resort? Don't rely on them?
I never heard anything like this before.

RB

Bobsprit

Really? That's pretty standard information.

Lifelines are very useful and important:
1) Working forward, stay low and they can and will catch you
2) If you take a fall from anywhere, accept over them, they can and will catch
you
3) Jacklines-part of the system.

You should expect to "rely" on lifelines. I've never heard or read anyone call
them a "last resort" and wouldn't treat them as such. I consider this an unsafe
philosophy. Like EVERY safety system on board they should be cared for as
PRIMARY safety gear. Do otherwise and you might regret it. I use my lifelines
FAR more often than my Fire Extiguisher (never used them actually), but I keep
the extinguishers updated as well.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

Well, you're wrong. It's that simple.

1) Working forward, one of course stays low, and low, they'll work fine.
They're not a substitute for acting responsibly on the bow.

2) They won't necessarily catch you. They'll break, especially under your
considerable weight. I've seen them break several times in the middle and
even more often at the gate.

3) Jacklines have nothing to do with lifelines. Jacklines will not (or
should
not break), and are used to keep you on the boat in rough conditions.

You should *never* rely on lifelines. And, who give a crap what you think.
If you treat lifelines as a last resort, you won't rely on them, as you
shouldn't
and you will rely on yourself to be low and balanced.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
[...]

Bobsprit

2) They won't necessarily catch you. They'll break, especially under your
considerable weight.

On Yoda, a sudden lurch caught my friend off guard and he toppled from the
cabin trunk. The lines caught him, though at 6'6 and near 300lbs he certainly
tested them. There's no way a proper lifeline will break from someone's weight,
unless the core is rotted or the lines are bad. NO WAY.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

Sorry, but how does one tell in advance on someone else's boat whether
or not a lifeline is "proper"? There is no way. In fact, a lifeline can
become
as you put it compromised without even the boat owner realizing it. One
should NEVER rely on a piece of safety equipment vs. common sense.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
2) They won't necessarily catch you. They'll break, especially under your
considerable weight.

On Yoda, a sudden lurch caught my friend off guard and he toppled from the
cabin trunk. The lines caught him, though at 6'6 and near 300lbs he

certainly
tested them. There's no way a proper lifeline will break from someone's

weight,
unless the core is rotted or the lines are bad. NO WAY.

RB

Bobsprit

Sorry, but how does one tell in advance on someone else's boat whether
or not a lifeline is "proper"?

I'm not talking about risks associated with "someone else's boat." Lots of
people take risks and let their gear decay.
I'm talking about the lifelines on my last two boats, which were/are sound.

RB

Thom Stewart

What are lifelines for?

A hand hold to get on the boat, A place to grab to bring the boat closer
to the dock, something to hold onto when you're rail meat. A place to
tie off sheets when the furler is furled, a place to tie off the boom
tent, a back rest when a foam roll is added, a tie off for fenders, a
cloth line, a hand hold when going forward from the cockpit and coming
back, a place to rig splash guards, a place to hang drink holder for
beer cans, a barracade to keep from stepping off the boat by accident,
etc

They might even keep you from going in the drink if you lose your
balance. they might even help you maintain yourself on the high side
when heeling (?)

They are neat to have but aren't really necessary.

I like mine!

Ole Thom

Bobsprit

One
should NEVER rely on a piece of safety equipment vs. common sense.

This is not the debate at hand. You said "YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON LIFE LINES."
Period.
Now you've added some odd comment about common sense. We're talking gear and
only gear. Let's assume Rain Man isn't aboard.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

You should NOT. We're talking about gear. Don't rely on them.
As you said, the stanchion can fail. That's part of the lifeline system.
Don't rely on them.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
One
should NEVER rely on a piece of safety equipment vs. common sense.

This is not the debate at hand. You said "YOU SHOULD NOT RELY ON LIFE

LINES."
Period.
Now you've added some odd comment about common sense. We're talking gear

and
only gear. Let's assume Rain Man isn't aboard.

RB

Lifelines, slack or taught Parallax Cruising 4 March 2nd 04 03:31 PM
Bending stabchions ? Sven General 8 December 11th 03 02:23 PM
Lifelines Wally ASA 66 October 22nd 03 10:21 PM