Jonathan Ganz

Default Habanera Sauce in the bottom paint

Well, it's been about two years now, and I haven't seen
much growth on the bottom of my Cal. I'm not sure if
this anecdotal evidence has convinced me to try it again,
but I'm not displeased. I added this stuff to the paint and
mixed it in pretty well. So far so good. I'm going to have
the boat hauled in a couple of months, and then I'll know
more.

Has anyone tried this?

Jonathan Ganz

Actually, I didn't mention it, but I did... the well that would normally
take the outboard has a fiberglass plug. I didn't use the sauce there,
and it seems to be much worse. It's still not a complete answer though,
because the plug isn't in the water all the time.

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Well, it's been about two years now, and I haven't seen
much growth on the bottom of my Cal. I'm not sure if
this anecdotal evidence has convinced me to try it again,
but I'm not displeased. I added this stuff to the paint and
mixed it in pretty well. So far so good. I'm going to have
the boat hauled in a couple of months, and then I'll know
more.

Has anyone tried this?

katysails

Jon asked: Has anyone tried this?

I thought the US Navy used paint that contained capsaicin (sp) but that =
the results weren't very impressive.

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Joe

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Well, it's been about two years now, and I haven't seen
much growth on the bottom of my Cal. I'm not sure if
this anecdotal evidence has convinced me to try it again,
but I'm not displeased. I added this stuff to the paint and
mixed it in pretty well. So far so good. I'm going to have
the boat hauled in a couple of months, and then I'll know
more.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, and with red pepper on a dink. Old coonass trick used in oil
base paint not bottom paint. Not very effective. Just buy good bottom
paint.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Michael

Not Habenera per se but the principal ingredient is plain old ordinary
capsicum (as in pepper spray, pepper sauces, or red pepper). Capsicum has
been used for decades by local natives of Central America and SE Asia for
the purpose mentioned and with good effect.

Even now there is a company that sells it as an ingredient for anti fouling
enhancement. Not necessary to buy it commercially. Just mix in red pepper
or as Joe mentioned some of the hotter grades of hot sauce.

Michael

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

Well, it's been about two years now, and I haven't seen
much growth on the bottom of my Cal. I'm not sure if
this anecdotal evidence has convinced me to try it again,
but I'm not displeased. I added this stuff to the paint and
mixed it in pretty well. So far so good. I'm going to have
the boat hauled in a couple of months, and then I'll know
more.

Has anyone tried this?

Yes, and with red pepper on a dink. Old coonass trick used in oil
base paint not bottom paint. Not very effective. Just buy good bottom
paint.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Jonathan Ganz

Why is that?

Oz wrote in message ...
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 00:08:50 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

Actually, I got the habenera sause... the most powerful I could find.
It cost $20 for a small bottle.

Better off with powdered chilli.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Jonathan Ganz

Hmmm... I will take that into consideration upon the next haulout.

Oz wrote in message ...
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:15:47 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

Why is that?

Doesn't upset the paint mix other than to thicken it a bit.
Much more concentrated too.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Joe

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Hmmm... I will take that into consideration upon the next haulout.

Your wasting your time!

Mr Cooper made a wood dink. He did the bottom with powered red chili
pepper mixed in paint for the bottom and kept the boat in the water
here in the marina.

Within 6 month in the water his hull was covered with barrinacles.

He pulled his dink used interlux bottom paint and it stayed unfouled
for 3 + years.

Answer this: What marine store carries chile pepper?

Joe
MSV RedCloud

Oz wrote in message ...
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 19:15:47 -0800, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

Why is that?

Doesn't upset the paint mix other than to thicken it a bit.
Much more concentrated too.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Interlux Bottom Paint Question Mike Cruising 6 June 17th 04 12:24 AM
Replacing bottom paint Mike Cruising 4 February 12th 04 02:28 AM
white film on green bottom paint, running dditto General 1 August 18th 03 12:28 AM
Removing bottom paint... Rural Knight General 1 August 6th 03 02:03 AM