Jeff Morris

Default Fishfinder???

You should find out if your boat was cored - I would guess yes because
Hinterhoeller seemed to like that. However, they would have put some "hard
spots" in just for mounting sensors.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I don't know if this setup would work for
you. My hull is not cored, but I believe yours is.

I think my hull is only cored above the Water line. Maybe I'll give it a try.

RB

Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

I'm thinking of adding a Ray 365 Fishfinder to Alien. I can get one new

with a
bronze thu-hull for 169.00.
It does speed, temp and depth, but the bronze thru hull protrudes from the

hull
with the fairing block and that sort of bugs me. It's a great deal

though...
Comments??

Sounds like a real bargain. Go for it!

Could you get it chromed for an extra $10?

Regards

Donal

Joe

(Jonathan Ganz) wrote in message ...
I have the same unit on my Cal 20, but didn't mount it in silicone.

I mounted a PVC tube with a diameter of the same size as the
transducer, sealed the bottom with glass, then filled the tube
with mineral oil. I mounted the transducer on the bottom of a
plug that fits inside the tube. The oil keeps the signal good,
and if I need to replace the transducer, I don't have to break
it off the boat.

Id did something similar I epoxyed it to the hull. Goes right thru
the steel without a problem, The mfg told me to just make sure you
have no bubbles in the epoxy. The only minus is that when you heel you
do not get a good picture. I have a keel board box that prevents me
from mounting it horizonal. Port tack picture is excellent, stbd not
so good.

But hey It works good at seeing the bottom and fish.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

In article ,
wrote:
On 22 Jan 2004 18:16:46 GMT,
(Bobsprit) wrote:

I'm thinking of adding a Ray 365 Fishfinder to Alien. I can get one new with a
bronze thu-hull for 169.00.
It does speed, temp and depth, but the bronze thru hull protrudes from the hull
with the fairing block and that sort of bugs me. It's a great deal though...
Comments??

RB

I have a Humminbird fishfinder on my boat. I mounted the transducer
inside in a bed of clear silicone against the bottom of the hull. No
thru hull at all, and it works great. No temp or speed readout, but
for under $100 it shows the fish, and the bottom contours just fine.

BB

Thom Stewart

I have a Hummingbird mounted the same way. I use it for Crabbing. I look
at the bottom and anchor about 10 feet off the kelp and drop my baited
trap on the clear sand. Works great, also used for my depth finder on
the inside helm station

OT

Thom Stewart

Sorry Nutsy,

Forgot to mention it is a thru hull transducer I've mounted on a wedge
to made it look straight down. It's mounted forward of the keel, in the
V-berth locker.

OT

Jonathan Ganz

I don't care about seeing fish... I just figured for the boat I have
I didn't want to spend more than necessary to have a depthsounder.

I didn't use epoxy on the transducer because they do crap out
occasionally. Mine is on centerline just behind the keel. I guess
there must be some degradation when heeling, but I can't tell.

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
[...]

wrote:
On 22 Jan 2004 18:16:46 GMT,
(Bobsprit) wrote:

I'm thinking of adding a Ray 365 Fishfinder to Alien. I can get one

new with a
bronze thu-hull for 169.00.
It does speed, temp and depth, but the bronze thru hull protrudes from

the hull
with the fairing block and that sort of bugs me. It's a great deal

though...
Comments??

RB

I have a Humminbird fishfinder on my boat. I mounted the transducer
inside in a bed of clear silicone against the bottom of the hull. No
thru hull at all, and it works great. No temp or speed readout, but
for under $100 it shows the fish, and the bottom contours just fine.

BB

Scott Vernon

Did you steal the guys' oars, too?

wrote

Yeppers. It was originally mounted on an aluminum bracket/post
assembly that had the transducer at the bottom and the display mounted
on a "wing" on the top. It was designed to fit into the oarlock on a
small jonboat.

Jonathan Ganz

I was going to put mine forward also, but I figured it would take more
of a beating up there and could potentially get stepped on. Where I
have it is almost impossible to touch no less get stomped.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Sorry Nutsy,

Forgot to mention it is a thru hull transducer I've mounted on a wedge
to made it look straight down. It's mounted forward of the keel, in the
V-berth locker.

OT

Scott Vernon

GooD GravY !!!!!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote

I think my hull is only cored above the Water line. Maybe I'll give it a

try.

Scott Vernon

ebonics?

"Bobsprit" wrote

...would anyone besided Loco be bothered by the
transducer? Could cost be 2 knots!