Bobsprit

Default Yet Another Marine Radio question

Okay, again I'm getting (as a gift if I want it) a Icom M-700 SSB radio.
Believe it or not, I don't just accept an expensive gift just because it's
"expensive."
This summer we have to trips planned and there will be plenty of daysails, but
not the kind of cruising associated with an SSB requirement. My question is: Is
this still a worthwhile radio to have on board? Can I chat with people far-off
for the sake of chatting, as in Ham or CB SSB?
I already have the VHF and also a new 10 meter with 11 meter conversion aboard.

Thanks for any help!

RB
Scott Vernon

Default Yet Another BULL**** post

"Bob****" wrote more bull**** about yet another high end
EXPENSIVE gift from a ''friend'' trying to impress us.

Give it up loser, nobody believes you, nobody cares.

Martin Baxter

Scott Vernon wrote:

"Bob****" wrote more bull**** about yet another high end
EXPENSIVE gift from a ''friend'' trying to impress us.

Give it up loser, nobody believes you, nobody cares.

I thought Booby said he knew all about this stuff, how come he's asking
questions about it?

Cheers
Marty
Bobsprit

"Bob****" wrote more bull**** about yet another high end
EXPENSIVE gift from a ''friend'' trying to impress us.

Give it up loser, nobody believes you, nobody cares.

Nobody believes me? Oh, okay.

Bitter, dude!

RB
Martin Baxter

Bobsprit wrote:

Nobody believes me?

Coming from a self confessed liar the question mark
is totally unnecessary.

Cheers
Marty

Bobsprit

Give it up loser, nobody believes you, nobody cares.

I thought Booby said he knew all about this stuff, how come he's asking
questions about it?

Marty, you SURE lie a lot. I've been posting some very basic radio questions
for weeks. I know little about ham/SSB.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

RB doesn't accept expensive gifts just because they're expensive!
Wow. What a statement. Thanks!

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Bob****" wrote more bull**** about yet another high end
EXPENSIVE gift from a ''friend'' trying to impress us.

Give it up loser, nobody believes you, nobody cares.

Lonny

SSB is a completely different animal than VHF, of course. If I recall
correctly, I had to get a ham license in order to operate one. There
are other ways to communicate with far off boats if that is what you
desire. We never really used one for 'chatting' like one might with a
VHF. We used it for daily weather reports and position reports while
out to sea. Things that were important to survival at sea. And
certainly never during day sails, or coastal sailing. There is a
large network of hammies around the world that would just love to
deliver your message to any given vessel anywhere in the world.
That's my 2 cents, and it is worth much more than what you paid for
it.

Lonny

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...
Okay, again I'm getting (as a gift if I want it) a Icom M-700 SSB radio.
Believe it or not, I don't just accept an expensive gift just because it's
"expensive."
This summer we have to trips planned and there will be plenty of daysails, but
not the kind of cruising associated with an SSB requirement. My question is: Is
this still a worthwhile radio to have on board? Can I chat with people far-off
for the sake of chatting, as in Ham or CB SSB?
I already have the VHF and also a new 10 meter with 11 meter conversion aboard.

Thanks for any help!

RB

Bobsprit

There is a
large network of hammies around the world that would just love to
deliver your message to any given vessel anywhere in the world.

What about the use of 10 meter aboard?

RB

Modifying Icom IC-M800 Steve Electronics 38 July 10th 04 03:49 PM
Just a few names... John Smith General 0 May 2nd 04 11:32 PM
Marine VHF radio range? Type? Buy where? Ken Electronics 9 September 13th 03 04:52 AM
Good Marine Radio? General 4 August 3rd 03 05:55 PM