Simple Simon

Default A love of the sea.

I've come to a conclusion after having to deal
with the likes of Shen44, otnmbrd, and RickyTugs
and some others this past year or so that perhaps
I have misjudged their motives.

I think I owe them all an apology because I
underestimated their love of the sea. It dawned
on me as I was pedaling to the store a little while
ago that, given all their other shortcomings and
faults, their love of the sea must be a match or
greater than that of the average sailor.

Why did I come to this conclusion? Easy.

Just examine what they do. They sit in a
wheelhouse surrounded by modern technology.
They breath air-conditioned air full of noxious
fumes from the operation of the ship. They
are subject to constant vibration and unnatural
motion. Noise is a constant companion. They even
admit to becoming seasick on a regular basis.
They spend their time alternately gazing at a
radar screen a Playboy Magazine and perhaps
a video tape or television.

If they are willing to ruin their health and
well-being and put up with such conditions just
to say they work at sea then they must truly
love the sea in order to sacrifice everything
to it.

What one must wonder, though, is why is it
they are either too stupid or too afraid to go
to sea in a small sailing yacht where they can
commune with their love of the sea and actually
enjoy what they're doing being close to the sea
in a healthy and challenging environment.

Go figure!

S.Simon - Master Mariner

Rick

Simple Simon wrote:

What one must wonder, though, is why is it
they are either too stupid or too afraid to go
to sea in a small sailing yacht where they can
commune with their love of the sea

Aside from your bizarre belief in the working conditions on a ship's
bridge and what we do and since you have only a fantasy vision of
professional mariners you make a public idiot of yourself once more.

Many, if not most, of the people I work with own and sail boats of all
sizes and types from 60 foot schooners to little toy trailerboats like
yours ... well, not quite like yours, they have the sense and the money
to maintain them and would not dream of setting foot on a derelict with
a broken boom ... and several make extended trips each year. One group
of 3 I know have been on an extended circumnavigation for years, flying
back to do their scheduled trips then flying back to meet the other guys
wherever they are located. The master of the vessel I left yesterday is
leaving for Tonga on his ketch next week when he is relieved.

Give it up, Nil, you aren't informed enough, bright enough, or witty
enough to play this game. The fact that you have been slammed on and out
of every lame thread you have attempted to start in the past couple of
months should have taught you something, if you have any capacity for
learning at all. The evidence so far is to the contrary ...

In the world of seafaring and mariners you are naught but a barnacle, an
impediment to efficiency, and a monument to the farce of lower level
licensing.

A wannabe for sure ...

Rick

Rick

Simple Simon wrote:

If they are willing to ruin their health and
well-being and put up with such conditions just
to say they work at sea then they must truly
love the sea in order to sacrifice everything
to it.

The truth is that after a few dozen circumnavigations and a hundred
tranpacific runs in 10 or 15 years actually at sea, going to sea becomes
a little less than the great adventure it may be to a hobbyist like
yourself. It is still interesting and a wonderful way to make an
outstanding living as well as sharing time with some fine people but we
sacrifice little to do it, we gain much.

We can afford any type of recreational vessel we want and have the time
to cruise anywhere we want. We don't need to pretend, we sail.

You really don't understand what seafaring is about do you, Nil?

That was a rhetorical question ... you answer it every time you post.

Rick

Scrappie

Excellent reasoning Simon!

Nothing beats taking to the sea, singlehanded in a small craft. These
tugboats captains just live and work on board a spartan ocean liner. The
ship is too big and too far removed from the water to give them any sense of
the sea. It's the same as an airline pilot claiming he is a bird.

Scrappie

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
[...]

Simple Simon

Thank you, sir! Glad somebody understands
my point.

I didn't really expect the tugboat captains
to understand but my love of the sea is so
great that I thought I'd give them a chance
to see how they are but glorified truck drivers
and far less a sailor than even week-end
sailors, for example, who go to sea only
a day or so at a time.

It is really a shame that they are so afraid
to be on their own that they have to surround
themselves with an entire crew of people and
tons and tons of metal driven in haste, noise
and polluted air that totally divorces them
from any real intimacy with Mother Nature at
her finest - the open ocean experienced up
close and personal.

S.Simon - Master Mariner and USCG licensed
Merchant Marine Officer who's
happier sailing his small yacht than
commanding the largest ship of the line.

"Scrappie" wrote in message ink.net...
[...]

Scott Vernon

The difference that you're missing, as I see it, is, these guys are on boats
while at work. You need to compare this to Simps former job as postman/sewer
worker, whatever he was. A lot of ship captains spend their off hours on the
water as well as while working.
BTW, last week I went onboard a H-L cont. ship (Breman(?) and talked to the
capt., he also sailed in his leisure.

Scotty

"Rick" wrote in message
news
Simple Simon wrote:

[...]

Joe

[...]

Ever hear of crewboatidas? Its a real condition caused by high speed
crewboats
slamming over the waves. A compression of the spine. We use to stand
in the galley and time jumping with the waves so that you would float
in the air for a very long time, sorta like NASA's vomit comet. Alot
of fun unless you time your jump wrong and have the deck slam up as
you slam down. The galleys in most halter built boats had 12 foot
ceilings. One type of boat was notourious for slamming because it had
to much flair on the bow. Called Cam Crafts, everyone nicknamed them
slamcrafts. And the noise is something you will never forget on a 145
foot crewboat that had 5, 12 clynder fully blown turbo charged 149
detroit diesel main engines screaming along at 25+knots. Only boat I
ran that sounded better was a 95 footer that had 3 800 Hp Mercedes
turbo units(MTU's).

For several years we adveraged 600 miles a day working for Mobil. We
serviced 3 drilling rigs 5 miles from the flower gardens and loaded
out in Freeport Texas. Do the math, thats over 21,000 miles a year.
How many miles at sea have you done in a year? What we saw would take
you the adverage weekend sailor like you 5 lifetimes to see.

If they are willing to ruin their health and
well-being and put up with such conditions just
to say they work at sea then they must truly
love the sea in order to sacrifice everything
to it.

Is that way mariners work at sea so they can say "I work at sea" most
I knew did it for the money.

What one must wonder, though, is why is it
they are either too stupid or too afraid to go
to sea in a small sailing yacht where they can
commune with their love of the sea and actually
enjoy what they're doing being close to the sea
in a healthy and challenging environment.

Most do both.

Go figure!

S.Simon - Weekend warrior at best.

Joe
Rick

Scott Vernon wrote:

The difference that you're missing, as I see it, is, these guys are on boats
while at work. You need to compare this to Simps former job as postman/sewer
worker, whatever he was.

Good point. I hadn't thought much about the fact that Nil spent his
working life in a miserable and unrewarding existence and needed
desparately to escape to his fantasy role of mariner in order to
survive. He probably lacked the courage or spirit to go to sea, or maybe
he tried and failed, and is bitter about his fate.

It must rip his guts out to know that we make a very good living doing
what he can only read about on the net. It must be Hell for him to know
that we not only travel the world by sea as a career but also own and
sail our own boats. It must be even more an assault to his ego that we
don't differntiate between sail or moter, they are all boats our manhood
is not measured by the manner of propulsion. His fantasy world requires
him to create his pecking order so that he might assume a higher level
than reality has assigned him ... in the bilges of a broken plastic
trailer boat, without a trailer or a car to tow it.

Most pleasure boaters just take pleasure in boating. Nil seems bent on
convincing us that he is some kind of professional, another Slocum,
Jones, or someone he can never be. The people he pretends to be don't
need to play the role he plays. They just do it, quietly, with great
delight. He is neither quiet nor does he seem to delight in his hobby.
It has become as much of a strain as the drudgery of his past employment.

When his ego is so fragile as to balance on the price of a discontinued
GPS there really isn't much more that one need say on the subject.

It would be sad if it were anyone other than Nil.

Rick

Joe

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
The difference that you're missing, as I see it, is, these guys are on boats
while at work. You need to compare this to Simps former job as postman/sewer
worker, whatever he was. A lot of ship captains spend their off hours on the
water as well as while working.
BTW, last week I went onboard a H-L cont. ship (Breman(?) and talked to the
capt., he also sailed in his leisure.

Scotty

Hope you were not trying to get a job running his ship with your new
licences.
Many Capt. keep a small copy of their licences in the wallet, Its
like a cops badge, gets onboard most ships anywere and into any
wheelhouse underway. The Galveston Ferry captian let me dock on the
boliver side once, That was a kick, had 50+ cars and a couple of big
rigs onboard.

Joe

"Rick" wrote in message
news
Simple Simon wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Ganz

Joe,

I have no doubt that Neal has exceeded this prodigous distance
while on his mooring in the Keys... going round and round and
round and round.

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Sailors who love their boats? Whplash4 ASA 4 October 24th 03 11:28 PM
Love Celtic music Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 October 8th 03 03:01 AM
Hungarian Love Horvath ASA 17 September 28th 03 04:40 AM
Folding Canoe - from Russia with Love riverman Touring 0 August 16th 03 08:00 PM
What to love about the United States. jlrogers ASA 35 July 7th 03 03:21 PM