Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Joe

Default Want to go to Australia - Be Gay!

From Google news:

NEW DELHI: Australia beckons gay couples. In a landmark judgement, an
Australian High Court ruled that the country would give refugee status
to homosexuals who would have to live 'discreetly' to avoid
persecution in their homeland.

The decision, the first ever by a final appellate court on whether
persecution over sexual orientation could be grounds for refugee
status, came after two gay men from Bangladesh appealed for refugee
status because they could not live openly as homosexuals in their own
country.

According to reports, the two Bangladeshi men came to Australia to
live with OZ1 in February 1999 and within two weeks of their arrival
applied for protection visas claiming that they were refugees because
they feared persecution in Bangladesh by reason of their
homosexuality.

The case is likely to have far reaching impact in other countries
receiving refugees. This could put gay asylum-seekers fleeing sexual
persecution on par with people fleeing religious or political
persecution.

The judgement, according to analysts could also be used as a 'gateway'
for those seeking to migrate to Australia.

Australian High Court Said this would never of happened if we did not
bend over from pressure for Ozzy. But we understand that even Ozzy
might be able to get laid now!