jandali2003

Default How small can my boat be? Hugging the East Coast of Australia....

I am interested to here the minimum requirements techinically, legally and
illegally with accepted risk for sombody who is interested in hugging the
East Coast of Australia - Sydney to Brisbane.

ie. lowest price, smallest sailing boat etc.
Thankyou very much.
jason

d parker

Size doesn't matter.. It is the design of the boat. You can do it in
something as small as a Tasman 22. Where as an Elliot 7 might be a little
hairy. Legally there is no size law. However, the skipper and owner are
liable if the boat is not seaworthy and carrying the proper safety gear. The
following will give you a guide to the "minimum mandatory gear you need.
http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/safetyequipment.html

One thing that is a misnomer is that hugging the coast is a good thing. In
some cases you are better out to sea where the wave patterns are more
predictable and the nearest rocks are a kilometre or so underneath
you.However gunkholing in nice weather is a great way to enjoy a journey.
Gunkholing is putting to sea in the morning and usually being at a safe
haven that night. It isn't possible to Gunkhole the entire NSW coast-a few
overnighters would be needed

The main things you need is a solid boat, current safety gear and good
seamanship skills. A current copy of the Aus Yachting Federations rule book
will give you a guide on the other minimum safety gear you will need.
You can also get gear info at this page.
http://www.nsw.yachting.org.au/defau...59/0,Equipment
%20Audits/1092/0

DP

"jandali2003" wrote in message
I am interested to here the minimum requirements techinically, legally and
illegally with accepted risk for sombody who is interested in hugging the
East Coast of Australia - Sydney to Brisbane.

ie. lowest price, smallest sailing boat etc.
Thankyou very much.
jason

J. Allan

"jandali2003" wrote in message

I am interested to here the minimum requirements techinically,
legally and illegally with accepted risk for sombody who is
interested in hugging the East Coast of Australia - Sydney to
Brisbane.

ie. lowest price, smallest sailing boat etc.

Once met a bloke from Sydney who got as far as Townsville in a 10 ft
Mirror before being rescued by a bulk carrier.

He reckoned he would have go further if it hadn't been for the camera
gear and tins of baked beans in the buoyancy compartments.

I didn't continue the acquaintanceship.

John

Update on ICOM M-502 Harry Krause General 9 January 16th 04 04:21 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
wanted: live-aboard boaters Power & Motoryacht Cruising 6 September 16th 03 02:25 AM