The Carrolls

Default scow?

We were having a discussion at work as tho the fastest monohull. I recall a
I think "K" scow but am not sure of the designation, any how it seems to me
it was a twin keeler, 38 foot long dinghy for all intents. any one here have
any experience with them?

felton

I think you may be thinking about the A Scow, although they don't have
"keels", but rather twin bilge boards, as I have always heard them
called. They are rockets. Like the more common E Scow, only the
steroid version. I seem to remember a fairly recent picture in one of
the sailing magazines of Buddy Melges sailing an E Scow pulling a
water skier. I don't know about "fastest monohull" anymore. I
believe they used to have some sort of race to crown the fastest
monohull and the A Scow was teh winner, but that was 20+ years ago and
things change.

You should be able to do a search and come up with all sorts of info
on A Scows.

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:13:48 GMT, "The Carrolls"
wrote:

We were having a discussion at work as tho the fastest monohull. I recall a
I think "K" scow but am not sure of the designation, any how it seems to me
it was a twin keeler, 38 foot long dinghy for all intents. any one here have
any experience with them?

thunder

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:22:26 +1100, wrote:

I have a feeling the Australian 18' Skiff is the fastest dinghy.

Maybe, but the A scow looks rather fast.

http://www.ascow.org/

DSK

"The Carrolls" wrote:
We were having a discussion at work as tho the fastest monohull. I recall a
I think "K" scow but am not sure of the designation, any how it seems to me
it was a twin keeler, 38 foot long dinghy for all intents. any one here have
any experience with them?

As others have said, it's most likely you mean an 'A' scow. I haven't sailed one
but have seen them sailing a few times. They are awesome.

Donals Dilemma wrote:
I have a feeling the Australian 18' Skiff is the fastest dinghy.

Yep. Be a heck of a shock to lots of people if they weren't. But the A-scow or
even her smaller sister the E-scow is not to be taken lightly. In some conditions
I bet they could give a skiff a run for the money. The A-scow does not have a
handicap rating that I'm aware of but the E-scow is rated as a lot faster than a
505, slightly slower than a Tornado cat.

Now, how would an A-scow and a 18-footer do against Mari-Cha 4? I suspect that
she is the crowned & reigning Fastest Monohull On Earth (outside of the
windsurfer speed trenches, that is).

The navigator© wrote:

A windsurfer is the fastest monohull.

Not by much, and not just any windsurfer. Recently in a distance race on San
Francisco Bay, a custom windsurfer finished about 20 seconds ahead of an 18'
skiff.

But this once, you're right. Enjoy.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The_navigator©

Once you are planing LWL works against you. Every board sailor knows this.

Cheers MC

Donals Dilemma wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:20:56 -0500, thunder
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 13:22:26 +1100, wrote:

I have a feeling the Australian 18' Skiff is the fastest dinghy.

Maybe, but the A scow looks rather fast.

http://www.ascow.org/

Sailed on a scow on Lake Guardia in Italy.
Sucker was about 30' long and carried up to 15 on strings.
Went like the clappers but when one was brought out to Oz for a
challenge it was beaten comprehensively by an 18' skiff

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

DSK

"Scott Vernon" wrote:
How would the sailing canoes down by St. Mikes compare?

Don't really know. The log canoes best point is in relatively light air. I
don't know what they clock. The skiffs plane easily but a 25' + waterline
give these log canoes pretty good 'legs.' From what the numbers suggest,
I'd give the nod to the skiffs.

Donals Dilemma wrote:
We have a canoe called
The Payne Mortlock Sailing Canoe
http://www.bsyc.asn.au/pmc
Cool boat, twin hiking planks and quite fast but wouldn't be a patch
on an 18' skiff

I found another link with a small pic of the boat. Looks a good bit more
sophisticated than the Chesapeake Bay Log Canoes.
http://www.logcanoes.com/

The log canoes are very exciting to watch. They originated as 'buy boats'
collecting oysters from the skipjack fleet and racing them to market. As
more importance was given to just racing them for fun (although large sums
were and still are wagered on them) they got sleeker and piled on more
sail. Some of them have three or four hiking planks. IMHO the silly
topsail doesn't add much drive but it adds a lot of style. Howard
Chapelle's books have a lot of details & plans of some of the log canoes.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King