Simple Simon

Default Seaworthiness ?

I've seen several pictures of such explosions and that is
the main reason I will not have heavier than air gas on my
boat. Alcohol is more expensive but it is more safe and
safety is my prime consideration as it should be with
any sensible man.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...
Ever seen an LPG explosion or its aftermath?

Cheers MC

Donal wrote:

"The_navigator©" wrote in message

They've eased up not under diplomatic pressure. As I said, they can
leave but with advice... As for LPG, the sniffer must have been broken
or had bad pipes. That would be a serious worry for me!

Oh, for Gawds sake! Why would you worry.

Mind your own bloody business!

Regards

Donal

Simple Simon

An alcohol fire is easier to put out than a gas explosion.

Careless people will muck up anything. Statistics showing
that fact should not daunt a careful sailor. A careful
sailor makes sure fires don't start in the first place.
This is easy with alcohol but harder with explosive
gas. A smart man chooses danger he can control over
danger that controls him.

S.Simon

Donals Dilemma wrote in message ...
On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 20:48:36 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

I've seen several pictures of such explosions and that is
the main reason I will not have heavier than air gas on my
boat. Alcohol is more expensive but it is more safe and
safety is my prime consideration as it should be with
any sensible man.

S.Simon

There are actually far more alcohol fires on boats than LPG
explosions.
http://www.practical-sailor.com/news...90Letters3.pdf

It's dangerous because people think its safe!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

The_navigator©

Well darn me I don't know. I though the layup around there looked the
same but I suppose they could have laid up different resins just
there... I'll ask the builder next week.

Cheers MC

Donals Dilemma wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 14:17:09 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

Regs actually state that the box should be manufactured from
flameproof material

Mine are not!

Are you sure?
We used a resin similar to these
http://www.scottbader.com/pub.nsf/Co...ME_Products_FR

but this is generally ignored.

Aha! But ignorance is not a defence in law unless your initials are DSK...

Yep, no defence, and no indemnity.

Cheers MC

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

The_navigator©

Caostal resuce services are still provided for free by the likes of me..

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

And, now we come to the crux of the matter - money.

Don't any of you realize that rescue services were traditionally
supported and are still supported in some places (England, for
example) by donations and workers who actually volunteer.
It is sad that the rescue service in most places nowadays has
become a commercial enterprise that can write its own paycheck.
Who pays but the taxpayer but, as usual, the taxpayer has no
say in how his money is spent.

In the meantime rescue services grow and grow with more
highly trained people on the staff and more expensive
hardware. Rescue services become a self-fulfilling prophesy
and a bloated bureaucracy with the ability to pass silly
laws requiring inspections of yachts before they are
allowed to navigate. Ask yourself what kind of a business
is in the business of limiting their business? Answer - none!

What's hidden away is all this rescue business is to start
something and then grow it but grow it in a more profitable
way. There can be just as many rescuers on the staff and
just as much expensive hardware waiting around to rescue
two or three boats a season as opposed to two or three
dozen boats a year. However an extra layer of inspectors
and enforcers can be added to bloat the payroll even more
and no cuts in the rescuers themselves need ever be made.

Payroll gets larger, equipment expenses get larger. Next
comes taxes being raised or fees being imposed and then
more bureaucracy is hired because nobody wants to speak
up against a noble pursuit such a saving lives. Where does
it stop? Answer: it doesn't stop. Think about it and just
say no to rescuers unless they work on donations with
volunteers like traditional rescue services.

S.Simon

"The_navigator©" wrote in message ...

Have you ANY idea what a rescue operation in the Southern Ocean costs?

Cheers MC

Donal wrote:

Donals Dilemma wrote in message

Umm it's a country that prefers to spent its taxpayers money on
hospitals and education NOT huge resources to rush to the aid of
idiots who set to sea in unseaworthy boats and with little or no
skills.

Are you SOOO politically correct that you are unable to see that checking
everybody's boat would cost far more than the occasional rescue?

What kind of world do we live in?

Regards

Donal

Peter Wiley

Must be a different one. The one I'm thinking of came through Darwin
and a guy I know ran across him at Cocos. Bernie was SH'ing a Colvin
Witch heading for Africa at the time, said the Russian built the boat
himself - all 12' of it.

IIRC we threw the Russian out after a week - he had no papers, passport
or the like. Still, anyone who can go from Darwin to Cocos with that
minimal amount of gear is doing well. Wouldn't bet on his survival, but
he's got a long way so far.

PDW

In article ,
The_navigator© wrote:

Got the wrong end of the stick old chap. I think the Russian you are
talking about was not alone and he did it in a old lifeboat. That he
made it here is amazing 'cos he had no charts -but he was not far from
land until the Tasman. The trouble was that as he had no idea about boat
construction the Al hull had corroded badly due to elctrolysis and
people got tired of his scrounging for repairs. His girlfriend hooked up
pretty quickly with a wealthier man. They were both Bludgers of the
first order -IMO. They were not prevented from leaving but their
liklihood for survival was made clear to them. They were also informed
that if they got into trouble it could be several days before any help
could reach them... If I remember he was deported when his visa ran out
and so got a free ticket back to USSR.

Cheers MC

Peter Wiley wrote:

All we really need to do is restrict EPIRB's to people with insurance
sufficient to cover the cost of SAR and the whole problem would go
away. Boat unseaworthy and/or incompetent crew? So sad, too bad. Learn
to swim or stay home.

There's a Russian in a 12' sailboat, Navvie, who's gone a lot further
in it than you have managed in your boat, and done it single-handed,
which you can't do in yours. Nobody in NZ would be allowed to leave
port in such a cockleshell as that Russian has done. You lot are all
the poorer for it.

Peter Wiley

Peter Wiley

That one (Southern Supporter) is landing a shore party on Heard for the
summer. I've got 6 of my guys sailing on Monday from Fremantle working
on the marine part of the study, aboard Aurora Australis. The land
based people are tagging penguins & seals with ARGOS transmitters and
the ship people are seeing where the animals are feeding, then doing
oceanographic/biological studies in the area. Should be a good trip, I
was originally going to go myself but decided one voyage this year was
enough.

For all the northern hemisphere people, it's between 20 & 28C at the
moment, enough wind for pleasant sailing, long lingering twilights for
eating out & drinking, the dolphins are out & about and ..... it's only
going to get better from here.

I'll be in Sydney for Christmas and to watch the Sydney-Hobart fleet
sail out. A few drinks at the Newport Inn and the RPAYC are definitely
on the agenda. Then back to Hobart to celebrate the arrival of the
fleet with drinks on the dock.

Life is very good.

PDW

In article , Donals Dilemma
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:20:58 +1100, Peter Wiley
wrote:

Hey Pete, that boat you cruise on the "Ocean Supplier" or something
like that?
Saw a thing on the news about an expedition to Herd to survey eco
changes.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.