The_navigator©

Default Seaworthiness ?

Good lord! My boat doesn't comply - don't have a flue or suitable
location for the cylinder and the gas pipes are not pressure tested
(except by me)!

Cheers MC

Donals Dilemma wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:41:24 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

I guess you live in a "fascist state" too! The cylinders won't be filled
if they are rusty but apart from that I've not seen any restrictions.
Certainly my insurance does not require a certificate...

Cheers MC

Hmm, maybe though there are far less boats exploding these days:-)
Cylinders are hydraulic tested every 10 years and stamped. Refilling
an out of date cylinder carries big penalties
This may be of interest
http://www.technicalregulator.sa.gov...brochure_2.pdf

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Peter Wiley

In article ,
The_navigator© wrote:

It seems to me that there is not much idea around here as to what
constitutes seaworthiness. Here in NZ the conditions are more
challenging than in many other places and to sail offshore requires
great attention to detail and sound knowledge of your vessel. Many
people here might consider their vessels "seaworthy", but let me remind
you that seaworthiness is a state of preparedness and safely for major
passages and suitability for storm conditions.

Here in NZ we have to get vessels inspected every 2 years for their
seaworthiness and without a CAT1 clearance the vessel is not allowed to
leave (if owned by a NZ resident). The inspection takes up to ~2 hours
and the inspector also questions the skipper on his seamanship (it helps
if you already have qualifications like Ocean yachtmaster or even
Coastal skipper) for it is also the application his knowledge that makes
the vessel seaworthy (or not).

[snip]

Here in Australia we can build/buy anything we like and sail it
anywhere there's enough water to float it.

Once again I count myself lucky to be an Australian instead of a NZ'er.
Ocean yachtmaster or coastal skipper before you can go sailing??? Give
me a break.

All we really need to do is restrict EPIRB's to people with insurance
sufficient to cover the cost of SAR and the whole problem would go
away. Boat unseaworthy and/or incompetent crew? So sad, too bad. Learn
to swim or stay home.

There's a Russian in a 12' sailboat, Navvie, who's gone a lot further
in it than you have managed in your boat, and done it single-handed,
which you can't do in yours. Nobody in NZ would be allowed to leave
port in such a cockleshell as that Russian has done. You lot are all
the poorer for it.

Peter Wiley
The_navigator©

Got the wrong end of the stick old chap. I think the Russian you are
talking about was not alone and he did it in a old lifeboat. That he
made it here is amazing 'cos he had no charts -but he was not far from
land until the Tasman. The trouble was that as he had no idea about boat
construction the Al hull had corroded badly due to elctrolysis and
people got tired of his scrounging for repairs. His girlfriend hooked up
pretty quickly with a wealthier man. They were both Bludgers of the
first order -IMO. They were not prevented from leaving but their
liklihood for survival was made clear to them. They were also informed
that if they got into trouble it could be several days before any help
could reach them... If I remember he was deported when his visa ran out
and so got a free ticket back to USSR.

Cheers MC

Peter Wiley wrote:

All we really need to do is restrict EPIRB's to people with insurance
sufficient to cover the cost of SAR and the whole problem would go
away. Boat unseaworthy and/or incompetent crew? So sad, too bad. Learn
to swim or stay home.

There's a Russian in a 12' sailboat, Navvie, who's gone a lot further
in it than you have managed in your boat, and done it single-handed,
which you can't do in yours. Nobody in NZ would be allowed to leave
port in such a cockleshell as that Russian has done. You lot are all
the poorer for it.

Peter Wiley

Donal

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
They've eased up not under diplomatic pressure. As I said, they can
leave but with advice... As for LPG, the sniffer must have been broken
or had bad pipes. That would be a serious worry for me!

Oh, for Gawds sake! Why would you worry.

Mind your own bloody business!

Regards

Donal

Donal

Donals Dilemma wrote in message

Umm it's a country that prefers to spent its taxpayers money on
hospitals and education NOT huge resources to rush to the aid of
idiots who set to sea in unseaworthy boats and with little or no
skills.

Are you SOOO politically correct that you are unable to see that checking
everybody's boat would cost far more than the occasional rescue?

What kind of world do we live in?

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
Here in Australia we can build/buy anything we like and sail it
anywhere there's enough water to float it.

Top marks!

If Oz has his way, you won't be able to get out if bed without a bloody
certificate!

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

Donals Dilemma wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:12:08 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

Good lord! My boat doesn't comply - don't have a flue or suitable
location for the cylinder and the gas pipes are not pressure tested
(except by me)!

Cheers MC

Hmmm where are the cylinders?
They should be in a box sealed from the hul and vented from the base
to above waterline.

Yes they are!

Regs actually state that the box should be manufactured from
flameproof material

Mine are not!

but this is generally ignored.

Aha! But ignorance is not a defence in law unless your initials are DSK...

Cheers MC

Simple Simon

And, now we come to the crux of the matter - money.

Don't any of you realize that rescue services were traditionally
supported and are still supported in some places (England, for
example) by donations and workers who actually volunteer.
It is sad that the rescue service in most places nowadays has
become a commercial enterprise that can write its own paycheck.
Who pays but the taxpayer but, as usual, the taxpayer has no
say in how his money is spent.

In the meantime rescue services grow and grow with more
highly trained people on the staff and more expensive
hardware. Rescue services become a self-fulfilling prophesy
and a bloated bureaucracy with the ability to pass silly
laws requiring inspections of yachts before they are
allowed to navigate. Ask yourself what kind of a business
is in the business of limiting their business? Answer - none!

What's hidden away is all this rescue business is to start
something and then grow it but grow it in a more profitable
way. There can be just as many rescuers on the staff and
just as much expensive hardware waiting around to rescue
two or three boats a season as opposed to two or three
dozen boats a year. However an extra layer of inspectors
and enforcers can be added to bloat the payroll even more
and no cuts in the rescuers themselves need ever be made.

Payroll gets larger, equipment expenses get larger. Next
comes taxes being raised or fees being imposed and then
more bureaucracy is hired because nobody wants to speak
up against a noble pursuit such a saving lives. Where does
it stop? Answer: it doesn't stop. Think about it and just
say no to rescuers unless they work on donations with
volunteers like traditional rescue services.

S.Simon