SAIL LOCO

Default Hey simple!

Correct. Traveller is wrong for current course.

LOL.......... How would you know? Traveler was above the centerline. Boom was
in the middle of the boat.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

Good lord. There's not one pleasing line on that sailing brick!

It does have a pretty ass end. Tee hee.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

Good lord. There's not one pleasing line on that sailing brick!

It does have a pretty ass end. Tee hee.

Looks more like an iron than a boat.

RB
DSK

SAIL LOCO wrote:

Kinda hard to tell that from where your sitting. I was trimming the main
and the top batten was parallel to the boom. It was really light air.

Loco, I was offering critique of Navvie's 'perfectly' set & shaped main. For
some reason AOL will not let me look at your pictures.

For the leach, I like to look at the leach ribbons and the overall twist.
Sometimes it is hard to tell. In Navvie's pic you can't see the leach ribbons
(are they blue, for some reason? Are they missing?) but it looks like there is
no twist at all.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The_navigator©

DSK wrote:

The navigator© wrote:

Here's a well cut main in light airs.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...56514380nkBEsE

Draft too far forward (unless you're just coming out of some
chop, which doesn't look to be the case)

Not enough draft in upper sections

You must be used to really baggy sails.

Leach closed.

No it isn't. You cant tell the twist from that camer angle

Why do you have a backstay antennae and no wire to it? Is the
wire lead up the mast and to the antennae at the top?

Well spotted. The wire is off.

Cheers MC

The_navigator©

Look more carefully. There are ribbons at each battenb and they are all
flying at that moment. You simply can't see twist from that camera angle
so the twist must be sufficient to keep the top ribbons flying...

Cheers MC

DSK wrote:

SAIL LOCO wrote:

Kinda hard to tell that from where your sitting. I was trimming the main
and the top batten was parallel to the boom. It was really light air.

Loco, I was offering critique of Navvie's 'perfectly' set & shaped main. For
some reason AOL will not let me look at your pictures.

For the leach, I like to look at the leach ribbons and the overall twist.
Sometimes it is hard to tell. In Navvie's pic you can't see the leach ribbons
(are they blue, for some reason? Are they missing?) but it looks like there is
no twist at all.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

The navigator© wrote:
You must be used to really baggy sails.

Actually, no. I'm used to lightweight dinghy where the max depth of
the chord is only 12%. But in this case, the issue isn't bagginess
at all. It is the simple fact that a well cut sail will be
relatively deeper in the upper sections.

In any event, in light air, a big round section with a relatively
flat entry will keep attached flow and build up much more power
than a draft forward conventional airfoil shape.

Leach closed.

No it isn't. You cant tell the twist from that camer angle

I can see the topping lift, whih is presumably straight, and the
distance from the battens to the topping lift does not appear to
increase towards the middle of the sail. Also, it appears (could be
due to camera angle) that all the battens are at the same angle.

Looking closely, I can see what might be leach ribbons flowing.
That's a good sign.

Why do you have a backstay antennae and no wire to it? Is the
wire lead up the mast and to the antennae at the top?

Well spotted. The wire is off.

OK, that's allowed

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The_navigator©

The navigator© wrote:
You must be used to really baggy sails.

Actually, no. I'm used to lightweight dinghy where the max depth of
the chord is only 12%. But in this case, the issue isn't bagginess
at all. It is the simple fact that a well cut sail will be
relatively deeper in the upper sections.

In any event, in light air, a big round section with a relatively
flat entry will keep attached flow and build up much more power
than a draft forward conventional airfoil shape.

There we disagree, in ligh airs the angle of attack of the leading
section must be close to zero to attach flow. Hence it should be full.
Surely you would agree that aeronautiucs shows that deeper foils
generate more lift at low speeds....

Leach closed.

No it isn't. You cant tell the twist from that camer angle

I can see the topping lift, whih is presumably straight, and the
distance from the battens to the topping lift does not appear to
increase towards the middle of the sail.

You are forgetting the roach...

Also, it appears (could be
due to camera angle) that all the battens are at the same angle.

Yes it's the camera angle. the top tell tale could not be flying at 33
deg app. if there was no twist.

Looking closely, I can see what might be leach ribbons flowing.
That's a good sign.

Yes they are, and it is.

Why do you have a backstay antennae and no wire to it? Is the
wire lead up the mast and to the antennae at the top?

Well spotted. The wire is off.

OK, that's allowed

It's a good idea until you go offshore. Means that the connections don't
'weather' until they are needed.

Cheers MC

How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Simple solutions Parallax Cruising 5 October 31st 03 01:19 PM
uk.rec.boats.power, plain simple cheap fair Haron Imran al Batch UK Power Boats 1 October 11th 03 05:08 PM
Simple envy Scott Vernon ASA 14 October 1st 03 05:13 PM