Scott Vernon

Default Simple envy

Simple, I envy you, well not you per se, but the fact that you have so much
(all?) of your time available to go sailing. If I wasn't tied down by job
and family responsibilities, I'd be off sailing somewhere right now. Every
time I go sailing (not wimpy little day sails) I always dream about staying
out for a month or two. Eight days is the longest I've been able to rack up
so far, and it only left me wanting more.

You really should go cruising before your time runs out. Hear that ticking?
GO NOW !!!!!

Scotty

Kelton Joyner

Twenty years from now
you will be more disappointed
by the things that you didn't do
than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.

- Mark Twain -

Scott Vernon wrote:
Simple, I envy you, well not you per se, but the fact that you have so much
(all?) of your time available to go sailing. If I wasn't tied down by job
and family responsibilities, I'd be off sailing somewhere right now. Every
time I go sailing (not wimpy little day sails) I always dream about staying
out for a month or two. Eight days is the longest I've been able to rack up
so far, and it only left me wanting more.

You really should go cruising before your time runs out. Hear that ticking?
GO NOW !!!!!

Scotty

Simple Simon

Believe me, I'll be off again to the Bahamas as soon as hurricane season
is done. I've got some things to take care between now and then. I've got
to haul and paint the bottom. I've got to get my friggin' new sails through
Customs. I've got to get my new laptop warranteed (it boots up only about
half the time) and HP is running me through the ringer and delaying and
delaying and demanding proof of purchase to the extent that's it is getting
downright humorous. I've scanned and Photoshopped and attached for
HP and US Customs till I'm sick of it but I won't give up. It is really a
pleasure to beat these people at their own game. I have well above average
computer skills and plenty of cracked and free software to beat the *******s
at their own game of delay and discourage. I WILL prevail. After all this
worldly hassle with technology it makes it all the nicer to go off for six
months at a time and just sail and enjoy life as it was meant to be lived
sans the hassle of the constant battle against those who would attempt
to rip me off. It is totally disgusting to buy a computer for a grand or so and
the damned thing craps out in less than a year and the manufacturer then
tries every game in the book to squirm out of their warranty. How many
people keep receipts and can even find them after close to a year? How
many people can scan them in and process them into a .tif file so an old
faded out Circuit City receipt with the vanishing ink can be read by a scanner
enough to tweak with Photoshop to prove the proof of purchase? I'm thinking
not many. I'm thinking most people give up and end up screwed. Not me,
man, I will fight them tooth and nail until I get my due. They will lose.

Then I will go sailing with my new sails and my new instruments and my
repaired for free under warranty computer and my bottom paint and I will
anchor in out of the way places and enjoy the solitude and whatever else
the good earth and sea has to offer. When I decide I need a little civilization
I will anchor in a Bahamas harbor and go to a bar and drink myself silly.

I will hit on every attractive woman in sight till I come up with one who's
interested in a little sailing with sex on the side. That's the way a man was
meant to live. The wind, the sea, the boat the freedom, the beauty of it
all as God meant things to be. That's for me. This newsgroup is only a
bit of a diversion until I can do what I really want to do - sail and sail and
sail . . .

S.Simon - a man who lives to sail

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
Simple, I envy you, well not you per se, but the fact that you have so much
(all?) of your time available to go sailing. If I wasn't tied down by job
and family responsibilities, I'd be off sailing somewhere right now. Every
time I go sailing (not wimpy little day sails) I always dream about staying
out for a month or two. Eight days is the longest I've been able to rack up
so far, and it only left me wanting more.

You really should go cruising before your time runs out. Hear that ticking?
GO NOW !!!!!

Scotty

Simple Simon

It's a hard life for any computer aboard a vessel in salt water.

I love my HP pavilion. It is a great computer except it has
a bad mother board or temp sensor or something that makes
the hard drive not 'seen' by the computer about half the time.

It started about two weeks ago. It boots up normally about
fifty percent of the time and runs and never crashes but about
half the other times it refuses to boot and only shows a BIOS
screen that asks which boot device to use. When the hard
drive is chosen and enter is hit it just goes back to the same
old BIOS screen asking which boot device to use.

Then when left for a couple hours or over night it boots up normally
or not. depending oh how it feels. It's weird! I'm not an expert but
I'm convinced the motherboard is bad or a socket is not making
a decent connection depending on temp and humidity. HP will
fix it for free because it is still in warranty and I have the receipt
and have scanned it and sent it to them in a giant tif file that they
can examine with a magnifier till they are satisfied. I think what
is bugging them is I bought it from Circuit City as an out of the
box unit that somebody else returned but the receipt says it
carries the full year warranty nonetheless.

S.Simon

[...]

Jonathan Ganz

Could be a number of things... the mboard is a possibility.
It could also be the power supply or even a bad mem chip.
You're on borrowed time with it. It could go away
permanently any time.

HPs are generally pretty reliable from my experience. Sounds
like it might have been abused before you got it.

[...]

SAIL LOCO

How many
people keep receipts and can even find them after close to a year?

I would certainly know where to find my receipt for a thousand dollar item that
had a 1 year warranty. And you only have that little tub to loose it on.
Check the bilge.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
SAIL LOCO

I think what
is bugging them is I bought it from Circuit City as an out of the
box unit that somebody else returned

Cheapskate buys other peoples returns. Dumbass. People should never by open
box electronics items.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Jonathan Ganz

On that I surely agree. I *never* buy other people's returns.
The cost/hassle is always built in to the final cost.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
I think what
is bugging them is I bought it from Circuit City as an out of the
box unit that somebody else returned

Cheapskate buys other peoples returns. Dumbass. People should never by

open
box electronics items.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

How to use a simple SWR meter and what it means to your VHF Larry W4CSC Electronics 74 November 25th 03 03:45 AM
Simple solutions Parallax Cruising 5 October 31st 03 01:19 PM
uk.rec.boats.power, plain simple cheap fair Haron Imran al Batch UK Power Boats 1 October 11th 03 05:08 PM
No, No, No! It FLEW OVER THE PENTAGON was The Pentagon Fraud Explained In Simple Terms Bertie the Bunyip ASA 10 August 11th 03 11:35 AM