Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dennis Vogel

Default Help w/Track Location

I just bought a Pearson Flyer that has just the two original genoa tracks.
One track is on the rail and the other is way to far inboard.

On my previous Flyer I installed a track that split the difference, and the
mainsail was always back-winding the first 25% when pointing. Does that hurt
my pointing ability or speed?

If I put a new track a little further outboard than my previous Flyer will
that hurt my pointing ability even if the mail is still back-winding a
little?

Some say there is nothing wrong with back-winding the 1st 30% of the main.
If that's the case can I put the new track a little more inboard and point a
little higher?

Is there a good rule-of-thumb for the degrees off centerline to place a
genoa track for a 7/8's rig?

BTW, my new mainsail is cut a little flatter than my last mainsail on my
previous Flyer. And we seemed to do very well with the main back-winding on
my last Flyer. But as any racer, I want to get just a little more out of the
boat.

Thanks for any help,

Dennis