Sarah Colwell

Default Alaskan fuel location

I cruised the Inside Passage last year and was not able to find gas
between Juneau and Kake. Does anyone know if that has changed? I'm going
back next summer and want to see Tracy Arm, but would sure like to be
able to get some gas somewhere in there.

Capt. Jeff

Denis Marier

I do not have local knowledge of the area. I was there last May and your
statement may be correct. Between Kake and Juneau I did not see any
advertised refueling point.
That does not mean that you cannot get fuel. The city of Juneau have a well
detailed website. They may be able to refer you to some sailor that has
local knowledge.
The distance from Vancouver to Juneau is 820 n/miles. Juneau -Tracy’s arm is
about 50 miles. Juneau - Skagway is about 94 n/miles where they have fuel.
Your type of vessel, engine, fuel and tankage along with current and at time
strong head wind will determine your requirement.
The other way is to contact the Fuel companies servicing the local fishermen
and Ranger boats and ask about their deliveries point and time. On the
Canadian East Coast Irving oil do have trucks that deliver to fishing,
cruising boats and large ships
You may already know this: Should you decide to visit Glacier Bay you will
have to make arrangement with the local Rangers. They only allow 25 boats
per day in the bay at any one time. When talking to the local Rangers I was
informed that VHF and cellular communications are not always dependable. As
for sat/phone they were not sure.

"Sarah Colwell" wrote in message
I cruised the Inside Passage last year and was not able to find gas
between Juneau and Kake. Does anyone know if that has changed? I'm going
back next summer and want to see Tracy Arm, but would sure like to be
able to get some gas somewhere in there.

Capt. Jeff

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Sarah Colwell wrote:

I cruised the Inside Passage last year and was not able to find gas
between Juneau and Kake. Does anyone know if that has changed? I'm going
back next summer and want to see Tracy Arm, but would sure like to be
able to get some gas somewhere in there.

Capt. Jeff

Depends on which side of Admiralty Island your going to sail on.
There isn't any fuel on the east side, while running up Stephens
Passage.

There is fuel avalable in Tenakee Springs, Angoon, and the old Chatham
Cannery in Sitkoh Bay, if your going up the west side of Admiralty
Island via Chatham Straights. You can run into Hoonah when you get
up to Icy Straights, or if your heading out to Glacier Bay, there
is fuel available in Excursion Inlet, and Bartlett Cove.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @
Tamaroak

I appreciate your help, and you obviously know what you're talking
about, as very few people I've spoken to know about Sitkoh Bay. (But
he's awful pricy, though!)

I'm going to be running from Juneau to Tracy Arm and then on probably to
Kake, which is a bit closer than Petersburg, although not quite on the
way, by any means. If I can't find some fuel, I may not be going very
far up Tracy or Endicott Arms.

Have you been there? Which is better?

Thanks, Capt. Jeff

Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
Tamaroak wrote:

I appreciate your help, and you obviously know what you're talking
about, as very few people I've spoken to know about Sitkoh Bay. (But
he's awful pricy, though!)

I'm going to be running from Juneau to Tracy Arm and then on probably to
Kake, which is a bit closer than Petersburg, although not quite on the
way, by any means. If I can't find some fuel, I may not be going very
far up Tracy or Endicott Arms.

Have you been there? Which is better?

Thanks, Capt. Jeff

Just to fly over....never been on the water on the eeast side of the
Island. Not to much going on down that way.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @