Ed Lindsey

Default Fuel Tank Location and Venting

Hello,

First, my apologize for the length of this post and thanks to those who
respond.

I'm building a Whitefin 20, an outboard powered, 20' mod-V skiff w/ center
console. There will be 2 fuel tanks in the bilge, end to end, mounted along
the centerline. The forward tank will be installed under the console. A
filler tube can be routed forward of the console and up through a thwart in
front of the console. A flusher filler would be mounted to the top of the
thwart.

An alternative installation is along the bottom of the thwart, from
centerline to hull, and then up through the side deck. The downside of this
installation is much longer tubes, read $'s, and fabrication of a cover
where the tube goes from the thwart at the side deck. Intuition tells me
that the alternative is a safer opinion, fueling and venting occur outboard.

My plan for the second tank is to route the filler hose under and along the
side of the engine box exiting through the deck which encloses the transom
area. Tank venting would be through the side wall of the engine box. All
three locations allow the use of one of the fuel containment cannisters with
suction cups that cover the vent during fueling and vents lower then the
filler.

Finally the question(s)....
1. I'm interested in the opinions of the group about options and issues not
mentioned above.
2. Can anyone point me to material on the web describing proper installation
locations for tanks, filler and vents? Particularly as they relate to my
situation. I'm trying to determine whether the inboard installation is
safe/unsafe, or in violation of Coast Guard requirements.

Ron White

1.&2. First , I am not sure what the "thwart" is, but it appears that it is
an inboard location. The only inboard tank filler setup that I would or
could live with are where the tank fill fitting is mounted to the top of the
tank and has sufficient diameter so that you can see what is happening in
the tank as it fills.Otherwise you are going to get overflows in the part
of the boat where you ride. Not good.
This type of fill would be about 3" dia. and would be expensive to buy and
would require a 3" fill nozzle on the tank. What I would do and what I
recommend to you is you go ahead and run the hose under the deck and up the
hull sides to the gunnel and mount your fuel fills there, on top of the
gunnel, one for each tank. Ditto for vents. Put the vents on the hull sides
so the overflow or vent outside the hull. Also be sure to have the vent
about 1' below the fills so that they can overflow before your fill does.
You can put the suction cup catch containers under them to catch fuel. It is
helpful, I think , to have the vents under there respective fillers so it is
obvious to anyone which fill they are associated with. As to whether the
inboard location is safe or legal, it may depend on you ask. But I would not
want it in any case.
A quick check of a Boaters World Catalogue has flush fills for about ten
bucks ea., vents about five bucks, 1 1/2" diameter fill hose six bucks a
foot. You could shop around and beat that. But the this stuff ain't that
expensive, go ahead and put it where you will be happy with your boat.
--
Ron White
Boat building web address is

Brian Whatcott

From Princeton's online dictionary (first hit on Google)

Thwart
a crosspiece spreading the gunnels of a boat;
used as a seat in a rowboat

Brian W

On 03 Jul 2004 08:54:47 EDT, "Ron White"
wrote:

/// First , I am not sure what the "thwart" is, but it appears that it is
an inboard location.

///
Peggie Hall

Ed Lindsey wrote:

[...]

I don't think either of those plans would meet legal requirements.

In a nutshell...

All permanently installed fuel tanks (which include any tank that holds
more than 7 gallons) must be vented overboard. Fuel fill must also be
located to prevent fuel from spilling in the boat.

Any enclosed space in which a fuel tank is located must be ventilated,
passively and forced ventilation (blower)...there are strict guidelines
for installing it.

2. Can anyone point me to material on the web describing proper installation
locations for tanks, filler and vents? Particularly as they relate to my
situation. I'm trying to determine whether the inboard installation is
safe/unsafe, or in violation of Coast Guard requirements.

CFR Title 33 part 183 spells out the legal requirements for fuel tank
installations. Google "Coast Guard fuel system regulations" to get to it
and other information...there's quite a bit.

--
Peggie