Donal

Default Kite Surfers and Coll Regs.

How do the coll regs apply to kite surfers?

Are they sailing vessels?

Imagine that you are sailing North in a westerly breeze, when you see a kite
surfer dead on the bow. It is still a good distance off, but it is doing
about 25 kts. - and it is on a collission course.

What would you do?

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron

Hold course and speed.... deploy the crew forward with water balloon
launcher and 20 foot bullwhip. Alter course as required to maintain firing
distance. Determine gender of oncoming kite surfer and if female.....
offer 20 bucks to the gunnery crew if they can knock her bikini off.

Come on Donal..... I outweigh the bugger by 10500 lbs.

CM

"Donal" wrote in message
| How do the coll regs apply to kite surfers?
|

| Are they sailing vessels?
|

| Imagine that you are sailing North in a westerly breeze, when you see a
kite
| surfer dead on the bow. It is still a good distance off, but it is doing
| about 25 kts. - and it is on a collission course.
|
| What would you do?
|

| Regards
|

| Donal

The_navigator©

Aww don't be jealous again. Try a diet and you'll be able to kite surf too!

Cheers MC

"Donal" wrote in message
| How do the coll regs apply to kite surfers?
|

| Are they sailing vessels?
|

| Imagine that you are sailing North in a westerly breeze, when you see a
kite
| surfer dead on the bow. It is still a good distance off, but it is doing
| about 25 kts. - and it is on a collission course.
|
| What would you do?
|

| Regards
|

| Donal

John Cairns

Little trickier in this part of the world. We're assuming you may be
referring to any civil liability attached to collision? I just spent some
time sailing with someone who has been called as an expert witness on
several occasions. One of the incidents involved a collision between a
windsurfer and a powerboat, with the windsurfer running into the aft section
of the powerboat. The surfer was seriously injured, in fact his life was
probably saved by the pb operator who happened to be an m.d. The m.d.was
sued, an arbitrator decided that the blame should be divided. Go figure. I
would bear off for the windsurfer, since he is a vessel under sail and not
passing, Funny you should use the # 25 kts., that was the number mentioned
in the story I was told.
John Cairns
"Donal" wrote in message
How do the coll regs apply to kite surfers?

Are they sailing vessels?

Imagine that you are sailing North in a westerly breeze, when you see a

kite
surfer dead on the bow. It is still a good distance off, but it is doing
about 25 kts. - and it is on a collission course.

What would you do?

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron

They can't sue if they're dead!

CM

"John Cairns" wrote in message
| Little trickier in this part of the world. We're assuming you may be
| referring to any civil liability attached to collision? I just spent some
| time sailing with someone who has been called as an expert witness on
| several occasions. One of the incidents involved a collision between a
| windsurfer and a powerboat, with the windsurfer running into the aft
section
| of the powerboat. The surfer was seriously injured, in fact his life was
| probably saved by the pb operator who happened to be an m.d. The m.d.was
| sued, an arbitrator decided that the blame should be divided. Go figure. I
| would bear off for the windsurfer, since he is a vessel under sail and not
| passing, Funny you should use the # 25 kts., that was the number mentioned
| in the story I was told.
| John Cairns
| "Donal" wrote in message
| How do the coll regs apply to kite surfers?
|

| Are they sailing vessels?
|

| Imagine that you are sailing North in a westerly breeze, when you see a
| kite
| surfer dead on the bow. It is still a good distance off, but it is
doing
| about 25 kts. - and it is on a collission course.
|
| What would you do?
|

| Regards
|

| Donal

Donal

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
Who is on starboard...

Good question.

We are heading north, and the wind is from the west. Therefore, we are on
port tack.

How do we determine which tack a kite surfer is on?

Regards

Donal

Donal

"The_navigator©" wrote in message
The wind is coming over his starboard rail.

No, it isn't!

Regards

Donal