Simple Simon

Default Kite Surfers and Coll Regs.

Kite surfers are NOT included in the COLREGS.

Kite surfers Are something new in the last year
or so. They are not in any of the list of vessels.

The COLREGS have been revised to include a new
classification for WIG (wing in ground) vessels but
no consideration has been given to kite surfers.

Kite surfers are not, by the definition sailboats
because they have no sails. The kite is attached
to the operator and not to the board. A board
is neither a sailboat nor is it a motor boat to
be sure. At present it is a gray area under the
Rules that needs to be cleared up.

I hope this helps.

S.Simon

"Schoonertrash" wrote in message ...
Yes they are included in ColRegs. When in doubt refer to Rule 2. Always.

Rule 1 INTERNATIONAL (a) These rules apply toall vessels upon the high
seas and in all waters connected therewith navigable by sea going vessels.

Rule 1 INLAND (A) These Rules apply to all vessels upon the inland waters of
the United States . . . . . .

Rule 3 General Definitions

INTERNATIONAL and INLAND the same

(a) The word 'vessel' includes every description of water craft, including
nondisplacement craft and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a
means of transportation on the water.

and Yes this includes surfboards. rowboats, Tom Sawyer's raft . . . .and
Wind or Kite Surfers.

(c) The term 'sailing vessel' means any vesel under sail providing that
propelling machinery, if fitted is not being used.

It's a common trick question on the tests

End of Discussion

MST

Donal

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Kite surfers are not, by the definition sailboats
because they have no sails. The kite is attached
to the operator and not to the board. A board
is neither a sailboat nor is it a motor boat to
be sure. At present it is a gray area under the
Rules that needs to be cleared up.

Top marks!

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

I say you are both wrong. In fact the kite surfer is a sailboat under
existing Colregs. This is beacuse 1) the colregs describe all vessels
(3a) and (2) the "kite" is used as a means of propulsion and is
therefore a sail -by legal definition.

Cheers MC

Donal wrote:

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Kite surfers are not, by the definition sailboats
because they have no sails. The kite is attached
to the operator and not to the board. A board
is neither a sailboat nor is it a motor boat to
be sure. At present it is a gray area under the
Rules that needs to be cleared up.

Top marks!

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

It's a technical term Donal for the edge.

Cheers MC

Donal wrote:

"The_navigator©" wrote in message

It isn't? You are heading north in a westerly and he's coming toward you
from ahead? On my thinking the wind would be coming over the starboard
rail -no?

What rail? The kite surfers that I have seen are only two, to three foot
long.

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

I'd say there are only four possible answers...

Cheers MC

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:06:20 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

Capetanios Oz wrote in message
news
BTW what tack is a boat on when it's head to wind?

A Power driven vessel doesn't have a "tack".

Regards

Donal

So what tack is a sailing boat on when it's head to wind?
Answer the question before changing the subject!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

The_navigator©

He's never surfed El Capitan...

Cheers MC

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:03:56 -0000, "Donal"
wrote:

"The_navigator©" wrote in message

It isn't? You are heading north in a westerly and he's coming toward you
from ahead? On my thinking the wind would be coming over the starboard
rail -no?

What rail? The kite surfers that I have seen are only two, to three foot
long.

So they have no rail?
What are you smoking Donal?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Simple Simon

You're wrong. The kite powers the operator.
The board comes along for the ride. The
board is not a sailboat. What if a kiter
decides to strap on a slalom ski and go
for a ride. Is a slalom skier a vessel -
no he is not. Kite boards are not much
bigger than a slalom ski.

It is doubtful the board is even a vessel.
The COLREGS define a vessel as:

a) The word 'vessel' includes every description of water craft, including
nondisplacement craft and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a
means of transportation on the water.

Means of transportation are the key words. Look up
transportation in the dictionary and it will say something
about going from one place to another. A bus transports
people from a bus stop to another bus stop for example.

A kite board just goes back and forth. It is used for play
and not for transport. A kite board is NOT covered under
the COLREGS because it is not a vessel according to the
definition.

S.Simon

Donal wrote:

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

Kite surfers are not, by the definition sailboats
because they have no sails. The kite is attached
to the operator and not to the board. A board
is neither a sailboat nor is it a motor boat to
be sure. At present it is a gray area under the
Rules that needs to be cleared up.

Top marks!

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

You are nuts. I surf canoed in cornwall and that was bad enough.

Cheers MC

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:51:25 +1300, The_navigator©
wrote:

He's never surfed El Capitan...

Cheers MC

I surfed once in Ireland...I can understand why!

Oz1...of the 3 twins.