Wally

Default OT - Partition Magic

Simple Simon wrote:

... to finish the job PartitionMagic comes on and does
a few things then it starts giving error messages
until it says too many errors - aborting partitioning.

What error messages does it give?

I've done a little reading on some of
the tech groups and there's letters to the effect
that HP does something to their disks when they
are imaged that prevents partitioning. What a drag!

I might just have save all my date, reformat, do an
fdisk and set up the partitions that way if I can't
find out why PM can't do the job.

See if you can find out what HP do to their disks - if it's reversible,
it'll save a lot of hassle.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

The_navigator©

Try it, you'll like it.

Cheers MC

Donal wrote:

"The_navigator©" wrote in message

Don't use Lilo use grub.

I don't know about grub. Lilo has worked flawlessly for the last 8 years.

Regards

Donal

The_navigator©

Use Linux.

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

I'm certainly glad I didn't waste my money on
a retail box of PartitionMagic.

I downloaded it and BootMagic from the fosi
site and it is the latest version (8) but it would not
work. I've tried it three or four times and as far
as I can tell I'm doing everything right but when
I resize the existing partition and create another
smaller FAT32 partition for Win98 and reboot
to finish the job PartitionMagic comes on and does
a few things then it starts giving error messages
until it says too many errors - aborting partitioning.

I've checked the hard drive. It's new and less than
a month old and has no errors on it according to
chkdsk.exe, it has no bad sectors or anything.
It's good. I've done a little reading on some of
the tech groups and there's letters to the effect
that HP does something to their disks when they
are imaged that prevents partitioning. What a drag!

I might just have save all my date, reformat, do an
fdisk and set up the partitions that way if I can't
find out why PM can't do the job.

S.Simon

"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...

Has anybody here used Partition Magic to set up
partitions on an XP Home machine so Win 98 can
be installed on a separate partition resulting in
a dual boot or multi-boot system? Did the software
work as advertised?

I have this nice little scanner called a Travel Scan
and the company that made it either went out of
business or the product was bought out by another
company. Unfortunately the software does not
load or work with XP and there will be no new
software produced for it. Rather than tossing the
scanner I was thinking instead of installing Win98
on another partition on my hard drive and loading
the scanner software there because it works just
great on the Win98 OS. Also, I have some other
legacy programs that aren't compatible with
WinXP that I would still like to use and I could
also load them on the Win98 partition.

I found a site where I can download Partition Magic
for 49.95. What do you think?

Ganz, do you have any multi-boot computers?

S.Simon

Wally

Simple Simon wrote:

I've done a little reading on some of
the tech groups and there's letters to the effect
that HP does something to their disks when they
are imaged that prevents partitioning. What a drag!

Might be something like...

http://www.interex.org/hpworldnews/hpw203/06news.html

....which says...

--------------------
HP still bundles recovery software, but instead of burning it on a CD-ROM,
the company places the files on dedicated partitions of the computers' hard
disks. The recovery software takes up seven CD-ROMs or nearly 4.5 gigabytes
of space on Pavilion hard drives. The partition is hidden and
write-protected so the consumer cannot accidentally erase it.

Magic Head Stephen Trapani Cruising 21 July 16th 04 01:35 AM
Rudder for Bell Magic? Douglas Diehl Touring 10 May 11th 04 05:18 AM
11 gal Isotemp magic water heater for sale charlie Boat Building 1 January 30th 04 05:17 AM
FS: Isotemp Magic water heater in SE Mass charlie Marketplace 0 January 28th 04 01:41 AM
The Magic Boat! Bobsprit ASA 33 September 10th 03 05:25 PM