BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT - Partition Magic (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/18217-ot-partition-magic.html)

Simple Simon November 3rd 03 12:15 AM

OT - Partition Magic

Has anybody here used Partition Magic to set up
partitions on an XP Home machine so Win 98 can
be installed on a separate partition resulting in
a dual boot or multi-boot system? Did the software
work as advertised?

I have this nice little scanner called a Travel Scan
and the company that made it either went out of
business or the product was bought out by another
company. Unfortunately the software does not
load or work with XP and there will be no new
software produced for it. Rather than tossing the
scanner I was thinking instead of installing Win98
on another partition on my hard drive and loading
the scanner software there because it works just
great on the Win98 OS. Also, I have some other
legacy programs that aren't compatible with
WinXP that I would still like to use and I could
also load them on the Win98 partition.

I found a site where I can download Partition Magic
for 49.95. What do you think?

Ganz, do you have any multi-boot computers?

S.Simon

Wally November 3rd 03 12:32 AM

OT - Partition Magic

Simple Simon wrote:
Has anybody here used Partition Magic to set up
partitions on an XP Home machine so Win 98 can
be installed on a separate partition resulting in
a dual boot or multi-boot system? Did the software
work as advertised?

I haven't used it with XP, but it has always worked well when I have used
it.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Simple Simon November 3rd 03 12:42 AM

OT - Partition Magic

Downloading as I peck away here.

You're a liberal but one fine liberal.

Thanks,
S.Simon

The Captains Nemesis wrote in message ...
On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 18:15:25 -0500, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Has anybody here used Partition Magic to set up
partitions on an XP Home machine so Win 98 can
be installed on a separate partition resulting in
a dual boot or multi-boot system? Did the software
work as advertised?

Yep, Works very well.
Go here to get ver 8 free
http://fosi.ural.net/
There are no viruses.

I have this nice little scanner called a Travel Scan
and the company that made it either went out of
business or the product was bought out by another
company. Unfortunately the software does not
load or work with XP and there will be no new
software produced for it. Rather than tossing the
scanner I was thinking instead of installing Win98
on another partition on my hard drive and loading
the scanner software there because it works just
great on the Win98 OS. Also, I have some other
legacy programs that aren't compatible with
WinXP that I would still like to use and I could
also load them on the Win98 partition.

Yep, I have an HPScanjet5P for which HP in their wisdom has not
developed drivers for XP however generic XP drivers will still work in
the Windows Scan/Fax application. have you tried that?

I found a site where I can download Partition Magic
for 49.95. What do you think?

Ganz, do you have any multi-boot computers?

S.Simon

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Steve Thomas November 3rd 03 12:57 AM

OT - Partition Magic

I have used System Commander for several years to switch between operating
systems..
Wasn't there an exchange of ownership, a buy out or stock swap or some such,
between these two companies?
Partition Magic only did partitions at one time.
Then System Commander added limited partition resizing.
I don't remember what happened after that.
Maybe I resized a partition...

Steve Thomas

two wheels November 3rd 03 01:37 AM

OT - Partition Magic

Simple Simon November 3rd 03 01:48 AM

OT - Partition Magic

Yes, three partitions is what I had in mind on my new laptop.
It has a 40 gig hard drive and I figured I'd go with 30 for
the main OS (winxp) and five each for win98 and linux.

Sound like a plan?

S.Simon

two wheels November 3rd 03 02:52 AM

OT - Partition Magic

thunder November 3rd 03 10:58 AM

OT - Partition Magic

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 18:15:25 -0500, Simple Simon wrote:

Has anybody here used Partition Magic to set up partitions on an XP Home
machine so Win 98 can be installed on a separate partition resulting in a
dual boot or multi-boot system? Did the software work as advertised?

I've heard good things about Partition Magic, but with XP it is not really
needed.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../multiboot.asp

My dual booting experiences were with Linux/Windows, and not applicable to
your situation, but there are many in the Linux community that swear by PM.

Donal November 3rd 03 07:48 PM

OT - Partition Magic

"two wheels" wrote in message
I chose Red Hat, just because there's a lot of no-fuss (RPM format)
software out there for it. The hardest thing was finding a driver for
my Windows modem, but I finally found the modem driver for my
particular kernel--at the modem maker's web site.

Doesn't Linux come with the necessary stuff for partitioning the disk.

**NEAL** Linux includes a boot manager (Lilo) which allows you to choose
which operating system to load.

Regards

Donal