Bobsprit

Default Scary Night!

Woke up the night before last at 2:00 am with chest pains, centered heart area.
Went to St. Francis Cardiac med. ctr. Fearing a possible heart attack they
rushed me in, did x-rays, blood work and so on.
Two hours later they found that I had strained muscle tissue in my chest.
Probably did it mountain biking on a run and carry. No cause for alarm and
heart was perfect.
A scary night to say the least and my first visit to an ER in 15 years.

R.

Flounder

How could they possible tell you had a strained chest muscle? They were just
guessing. If the pains came on suddenly, you may have had muscle cramps in
the chest. That's different than a strain. The cramps would then be caused
by an electrolyte imbalance. The medical tests only indicate selected serum
electrolyte levels, not platelet levels. The fact you had cramps so delayed
after exercise is indicative of electrolyte imbalance. I'd really consider a
stress test and complete blood profile.
After natural causes, the next greatest cause of death is the medical
practice itself. So go believe what they have told you, you're ok. Really.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Woke up the night before last at 2:00 am with chest pains, centered heart

area.
Went to St. Francis Cardiac med. ctr. Fearing a possible heart attack they
rushed me in, did x-rays, blood work and so on.
Two hours later they found that I had strained muscle tissue in my chest.
Probably did it mountain biking on a run and carry. No cause for alarm and
heart was perfect.
A scary night to say the least and my first visit to an ER in 15 years.

R.

Bobsprit

How could they possible tell you had a strained chest muscle? They were just
guessing. If the pains came on suddenly, you may have had muscle cramps in
the chest. That's different than a strain.

A stress test was done. Range of motion test was consistent with muscle tissue
damage.
I don't smoke, drink or have heart disease in my family. I'm about twice as
strong as most humans and have a resting heart rate (tested that eve) of 68. My
cholesterold was recently tested at 144.
I'm 40 years old. See you in 50 years or so!

RB
Flounder

A stress test in the ER? It takes about 2-3 hours just to get the chest
xrays and blood work back.

What doctor would give a patient a stress test without knowing the results
of the above? Remember, you said it took only two hours for the whole
examination to conclude.

The range of motion test? Couldn't you do it yourself and figure out you
sprained a muscle? Why run to the ER for a sprained muscle that can clearly
be shown through a range of motion test?

You've been reading Suzzette's nursing book haven't you? No hospital gives a
cardiac stress test within hours of reported chest pains. The do a 12 lead
ECG, x rays and an enzyme test. Did they do a thorium test too to check for
ischemia?

Nice try, but your story doesn't add up.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
How could they possible tell you had a strained chest muscle? They were

just
guessing. If the pains came on suddenly, you may have had muscle cramps in
the chest. That's different than a strain.

A stress test was done. Range of motion test was consistent with muscle

tissue
damage.
I don't smoke, drink or have heart disease in my family. I'm about twice

as
strong as most humans and have a resting heart rate (tested that eve) of

68. My
cholesterold was recently tested at 144.
I'm 40 years old. See you in 50 years or so!

RB

Bobsprit

A stress test in the ER? It takes about 2-3 hours just to get the chest
xrays and blood work back.

Not when your wife works there. X-rays and bloodwork done in 1 hour.
Sorry if you don't like my story. Also sorry that you'd have to wait so long
for x-rays. Fearing a possible heart problem, I can't imagine x-rays taking 3
hours. Mine were shot and processed within minutes. The blood work took
slightly longer, maybe 50 minutes for results.
When I got there there was not a single person in the waiting room.

RB
Flounder

Oh yes, and the technician for the stress test just happened to be there at
2 AM up on the second floor next to the O.R.
Or did they shoot you up with dobutamine for the stress test? Problems
though using the dobutamine to simulate exercise.

Oh! Oh! I'm having sudden chest pains! I shall drive myself miles out of the
way to where my wife works so I can get emergency treatment! Oh good I'm
here! Suzzy will make sure I get the very best treatment. Oh thanks doc, it
was just a sore muscle from lifting a 22 pound bike! Or was it a torn muscle
from squeezing the brake handle!!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
A stress test in the ER? It takes about 2-3 hours just to get the chest
xrays and blood work back.

Not when your wife works there. X-rays and bloodwork done in 1 hour.
Sorry if you don't like my story. Also sorry that you'd have to wait so

long
for x-rays. Fearing a possible heart problem, I can't imagine x-rays

taking 3
hours. Mine were shot and processed within minutes. The blood work took
slightly longer, maybe 50 minutes for results.
When I got there there was not a single person in the waiting room.

RB

SAIL LOCO

For someone who posted disparaging remarks about a mother who had passed away
what are you looking for?
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Bobsprit

The range of motion test? Couldn't you do it yourself and figure out you
sprained a muscle?

Nope. I was asked to stretch my arms straight out and back. A nurse pressed at
my arms hyperextending them. Can't see how I'd do this myself.
Diagnosis:
Chest wall pain. Presc. Viox (Rofecoxib).
I'll have a followup checkup with my doctor next week.
St. Francis is one of the top cardiac treatment centers in the USA.

RB