Shen44

Default Question?

I was reading another group...and a long time sailor said they
still get the sickness, do any of you still get sick? after being out
for a long period of time?

NH_/)_

I have always been prone to motion sickness of all kinds.
When I was still sailing "deep sea", for the first month, if we had any bad
weather, I'd get sick .... after that you could throw anything at me.
Nowadays I'm frequently on small boats and find the only time I'm really
bothered is when it's a dark night or possibly foggy and I have no reference
(horizon, lights, etc.) and the ride is unpredictably bouncy.
I have noticed that the older I'm getting, the less the tendency (G getting
more numb with age), but I'm also carefull where I stand and what I do.

Shen
Simple Simon

What a wimp! What a double wimp.

One wimp for getting seasick two wimps for admitting
you get seasick. No wonder you function so poorly in
the wheelhouse. It makes it very difficult to study the
COLREGS when you get seasick just by looking down
and squinting your old eyes that are probably corrected
to 20/40 from 20/200 with eyeglasses that are fogged
up most of the time.

"Shen44" wrote in message ...

I have always been prone to motion sickness of all kinds.
When I was still sailing "deep sea", for the first month, if we had any bad
weather, I'd get sick ....

Simple Simon

Some of us don't have to admit to a malady we
don't succumb to. You seem to think everybody
gets seasick. This is not the case. Some of us
have inner ears that are secure enough to not
be fooled by a little strange motion and some
of us have brains powerful enough to discount
information that is at odds with our senses.

Subject: Question?
From: "Simple Simon"
Date: 08/04/2003 10:23 Pacific Standard Time
What a wimp! What a double wimp.

One wimp for getting seasick two wimps for admitting
you get seasick. No wonder you function so poorly in
the wheelhouse. It makes it very difficult to study the
COLREGS when you get seasick just by looking down
and squinting your old eyes that are probably corrected
to 20/40 from 20/200 with eyeglasses that are fogged
up most of the time.

ROFL I know you won't understand this Neal, but the "wimp" is the one who WON'T
or CAN'T admit to getting seasick.
..... any man or woman, knows that.

Shen

The_navigator©

Nobody ever does -while helming.

Cheers MC

Scott Vernon wrote:

The few times I felt a little queasy , I was down below on hot days. Never
felt bad while helming.

Scotty

"NH_/)_" wrote in message
news
Humm Ok question answered -- I had better plan on getting sick

NH_/)_

"DSK" wrote in message

"NH_/)_" wrote:

I was reading another group...and a long time sailor said theystill
get the sickness, do any of you still get sick? after being outfor a
long period of time?

How long is a "long period of time?" Most people will adapt after less
than 48 hours, but I have known a few people who would be quite seasick
after a week at sea.

When conditions are bouncy. it makes me slightly queasy to be enclosed
in a small cabin trying to navigate or make some tedious repair, but
that's a fairly common effect AFAIK. Fresh air, a view of the horizon,
and taking an active role, are almost universal cures. Ginger is said to
help, we always keep a stock of ginger ale on board.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails

No. Onl;y time I ever get nauseous is if I have a migraine coming on, which
is very seldom and isn't sailing related.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails

I see so it just depends on the person, well I hope I adapt well
or I will be spending time hanging over the side LOL

NH_/)_

Motion sickness, or sea sickness, is most often caused by inner ear
disturbances and your sense of balance. If you lose a focal point, you may
become ill. That is why being at the tiller or wheel helps...you regain
focus. Take a light, non-drowsy antihistamine the first couple of times you
go out and see how things go. If you still get woozy, then try a scop
patch...dramamine tends to make people really sleepy, which isn't really the
answer to the problem. Also, do not eat anything you do not want to taste a
second time around before you sail if you know you're a puker.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Flying Tadpole

anonymous wrote:

Keep some soda crackers handy for
those afflicted.

Flat Coca-Cola.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com
Marty Browne

At some point, most people get sea-sick. The question is: when do they
get to that appropriate point. I have hit the queasy point only once,
briefly, in a Bermuda race. I got a scopal...(sp?) patch on and had no
further problems.
On my last Bermuda Race, 2002, it was very, very, lumpy and ugly at the
start. Most of us, on the boat, took some medication before the boat got
out to the lumpy start zone. Only one person, a very skilled and
experienced sailor had any real problems; that person wasn't useful for
the first 70+ hours out! But, after we finished, he was fresh as a daisy
to help bring the boat to Hamilton!
Most people are helped by ginger ale, soda crackers, or flat cola-type
sodas.
suffering from Mal-de-Mer is not a signal of lack of skill. One of the
best offshore helmsman I have ever sailed with, would get sea-sick and
no medication would prevent the problem. Any drugs that he took only
reduced the severity of the problem.

good luck. Have fun and go sailing.

Flying Tadpole wrote:

anonymous wrote:

Keep some soda crackers handy for
those afflicted.

Flat Coca-Cola.

Mercury Mark 58,piston question Clams Canino General 1 May 2nd 04 08:58 PM
Wiring Question Marc Electronics 3 March 21st 04 12:20 AM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
Other choice and counterpoise question Earl Haase Electronics 3 October 31st 03 06:43 PM
Exhaust question on inboard 1958 Chris Craft Gary Warner General 5 September 25th 03 12:32 AM