Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Simple Simon

Default What type of rig?

It's pretty standard or was several years ago before Hunter
and some other manufacturers started skimping on standing
rigging with Gunter rigs and other such nonsense not welcome
on a cruising vessel.

You rig is called a masthead rig with double lowers and
split backstay. This is a proper cruising rig.

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Being an innocent, fresh-faced newbie who isn't an expert on boats, I was
wondering if the rig on my boat is particular type. If so, I'd be interested
in finding out what type of rig it is. I'd also be interested in hearing
comments on it.

There are fore and backstays, both of which go to the top of the mast. The
backstay is an inverted 'Y', with the 'prongs' of the Y coming down to the
quarters. On one quarter, the stay ends at a block, allowing for, presumably
quick, tension adjustment. The forestay has one of those opposing thread
tension adjusters (turnbuckle?).

On each beam, there are two shrouds that attach to the mast just under the
spreaders, with one turnbuckle on each side being forward of the mast, and
one aft. There is also a shroud on each side in line with the mast, passing
over the spreader and going up to the top. There are turnbuckles(?) on all
six shrouds. The spreaders are not the swept back type.

If this is a standard type of rig, what's it called? I can see that the
short shrouds and fore and backstays could be used to set mast bend.

Comments?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!