Marc

Default LIS Trip Incident

July 6th 2003, sailing across Hempstead Harbor, course 077 Mag near
Matinicock Point, on course for Oyster Bay. Wind West at 8 kn, port
tacked, 3.8 kn boat speed. Am being over hauled by a J 44 coming out
of Glen cove on a course of 60 Mag at about 4.5 kn. The J 44 pulls
along side, about 10 ' off my starboard and sits there for a while as
two of the 3 occupants discuss the fine points of my rig among
themselves. They then cross my bow, leaving no more than 5' between
us.
Question: Should I have been greatful that they passed me to starboard
and did not blank my wind, or was I justified in throwing a D-cell at
the skippers head?

katysails

Should I have been greatful that they passed me to starboard
and did not blank my wind, or was I justified in throwing a D-cell at
the skippers head?

Too bad you didn't have a cedar bucket that needed emptying...
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron

What the heck ever happened to "friendly sailors"..... Look Marc... I would
have maneuvered to 8" off their rail and asked if they had any Grey Poupon!
Throw'em a frickin Bone and compliment their boat.... talk to them. Don
your Rasta Hat with the fake dreads and start suckin back on a bottle of
Overproof Rum while waving nicely and invite them to take a drink.

What you may have considered rude was probably not the intent of the other
vessel. I often play dodge boat with other sailboats and we have fun with
it.... but I take the time to hail and make acquaintance. You were dead
wrong in throwing the battery... and maybe that's why they didn't bother to
talk to you... they probably had a bad experience before with someone else
being rude. If you felt they were dissing you.. you could have shortened to
crossing margin by a few feet and walked up to the bow of your boat to point
out the fact it wasn't appreciated with words and not projectiles. Better
arm yourself with water balloons and use them next time.... a few launches
will send vessels scurrying for cover.

BTW: I was single handing one day about 3/4 way out of the harbour in
Yellowknife when I received a hail from a friend on his sailboat with a
warning the approaching cruiser was full of folks taking pictures. They had
pulled up beside his boat and snapped quite a few.. he wasn't pleased at the
intrusion. I replied I was ready for them. They approached and I made use of
the rail covers to strip naked. When they pulled along side and started to
take photos.. I stood up and waved at them wearing nothing but a big
smile.... the reaction was immediate and priceless.... screams and mothers
covering their daughter's eyes... the cruiser banked off and avoided the 3
sailboats ahead of me. We all conferred on VHF and everyone had a good
laugh.

Ease up man... it's supposed to be fun! Don't act like Bob at the marina
entry.

CM

"Marc" wrote in message
| July 6th 2003, sailing across Hempstead Harbor, course 077 Mag near
| Matinicock Point, on course for Oyster Bay. Wind West at 8 kn, port
| tacked, 3.8 kn boat speed. Am being over hauled by a J 44 coming out
| of Glen cove on a course of 60 Mag at about 4.5 kn. The J 44 pulls
| along side, about 10 ' off my starboard and sits there for a while as
| two of the 3 occupants discuss the fine points of my rig among
| themselves. They then cross my bow, leaving no more than 5' between
| us.
| Question: Should I have been greatful that they passed me to starboard
| and did not blank my wind, or was I justified in throwing a D-cell at
| the skippers head?

Marc

This is New York , man. Owning a J 44 is an aggressive act all by its
lonesome. But, you are right about the water balloons, probably a
better weapons choice considering the provocation.

Here's another one. I'm returning down the East River and motor
sailing out the Narrows, hugging the Brooklyn shore, bearing south
east. A Tartan, which has been following me down river, and slowly
gaining on me for hours, climbs up on my stern and with 50 yds of
water on my port and 1/2 a mile on my starboard, procedes to pass me
to port slooooowly, cut in front and bear off s/w to New Jersey. Maybe
its just a New York Thing?

BTW did you ever get that portaboat?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:02:33 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

[...]

"Marc" wrote in message
.. .
| July 6th 2003, sailing across Hempstead Harbor, course 077 Mag near
| Matinicock Point, on course for Oyster Bay. Wind West at 8 kn, port
| tacked, 3.8 kn boat speed. Am being over hauled by a J 44 coming out
| of Glen cove on a course of 60 Mag at about 4.5 kn. The J 44 pulls
| along side, about 10 ' off my starboard and sits there for a while as
| two of the 3 occupants discuss the fine points of my rig among
| themselves. They then cross my bow, leaving no more than 5' between
| us.
| Question: Should I have been greatful that they passed me to starboard
| and did not blank my wind, or was I justified in throwing a D-cell at
| the skippers head?

Capt. Mooron

"Marc" wrote in message
news | This is New York , man. Owning a J 44 is an aggressive act all by its
| lonesome. But, you are right about the water balloons, probably a
| better weapons choice considering the provocation.

Get the launcher [Giant slingshot] it's a friendly equalizer. Why is a J44
an aggressive act? Every New Yorker I have met has shown glaring behaviour
traits to compensate for low self esteem or lack of confidence. Although
they are friendly enough they seem to need to impress you with their
accomplishments. They seem to talk a good fight but come up short when
confronted in the bar. I find that a friendly approach is by far the best.
If they need to feel good about themselves.. compliment the *******s... it's
no sweat to be nice. If someone sails up to me around here or anywhere else
I've sailed... I always hail them and compliment either their boat or their
progress. I'm remembered as the "nice guy" and even if they did intend to
**** me off they reconsider their action and treat me with courtesy. I never
get reported or yelled at and I make a lot more friends.

| Here's another one. I'm returning down the East River and motor
| sailing out the Narrows, hugging the Brooklyn shore, bearing south
| east. A Tartan, which has been following me down river, and slowly
| gaining on me for hours, climbs up on my stern and with 50 yds of
| water on my port and 1/2 a mile on my starboard, procedes to pass me
| to port slooooowly, cut in front and bear off s/w to New Jersey. Maybe
| its just a New York Thing?

So how did this act offend you? If it was me I would have sailed over and
started a conversation. Say hello.. compliment his boat... find out where he
is going. Wish him well, Ask if he needs you to allow him room to get around
you. I bet he wouldn't have cut you off... I bet he would remember your
boat the next time you met..... but better still ... maybe he would do the
same next time he met another boat and you would have started a movement to
return sailing to a user friendly lifestyle.

Why is aggressive action allowed to unfold under sail. Why must we take the
rude behaviour off the streets out onto the water. The few assholes can be
dealt with because by approaching in a friendly manner and being courteous
you will separate the truly obnoxious from the ignorant. Remember Hanlon's
Razor - "Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained
by ignorance or stupidity"

| BTW did you ever get that portaboat?

No... I ran out of cash. I have to build a new roof on the house.... so
funds are a little low now. Maybe next year..... I really like them and
think it's the perfect tender.

CM