Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Marc

Default LIS Trip Incident

July 6th 2003, sailing across Hempstead Harbor, course 077 Mag near
Matinicock Point, on course for Oyster Bay. Wind West at 8 kn, port
tacked, 3.8 kn boat speed. Am being over hauled by a J 44 coming out
of Glen cove on a course of 60 Mag at about 4.5 kn. The J 44 pulls
along side, about 10 ' off my starboard and sits there for a while as
two of the 3 occupants discuss the fine points of my rig among
themselves. They then cross my bow, leaving no more than 5' between
us.
Question: Should I have been greatful that they passed me to starboard
and did not blank my wind, or was I justified in throwing a D-cell at
the skippers head?