Marc

Default LIS Trip Incident

July 6th 2003, sailing across Hempstead Harbor, course 077 Mag near
Matinicock Point, on course for Oyster Bay. Wind West at 8 kn, port
tacked, 3.8 kn boat speed. Am being over hauled by a J 44 coming out
of Glen cove on a course of 60 Mag at about 4.5 kn. The J 44 pulls
along side, about 10 ' off my starboard and sits there for a while as
two of the 3 occupants discuss the fine points of my rig among
themselves. They then cross my bow, leaving no more than 5' between
us.
Question: Should I have been greatful that they passed me to starboard
and did not blank my wind, or was I justified in throwing a D-cell at
the skippers head?