Capt. Mooron

Default LIS Trip Incident

"Marc" wrote in message
news | This is New York , man. Owning a J 44 is an aggressive act all by its
| lonesome. But, you are right about the water balloons, probably a
| better weapons choice considering the provocation.

Get the launcher [Giant slingshot] it's a friendly equalizer. Why is a J44
an aggressive act? Every New Yorker I have met has shown glaring behaviour
traits to compensate for low self esteem or lack of confidence. Although
they are friendly enough they seem to need to impress you with their
accomplishments. They seem to talk a good fight but come up short when
confronted in the bar. I find that a friendly approach is by far the best.
If they need to feel good about themselves.. compliment the *******s... it's
no sweat to be nice. If someone sails up to me around here or anywhere else
I've sailed... I always hail them and compliment either their boat or their
progress. I'm remembered as the "nice guy" and even if they did intend to
**** me off they reconsider their action and treat me with courtesy. I never
get reported or yelled at and I make a lot more friends.

| Here's another one. I'm returning down the East River and motor
| sailing out the Narrows, hugging the Brooklyn shore, bearing south
| east. A Tartan, which has been following me down river, and slowly
| gaining on me for hours, climbs up on my stern and with 50 yds of
| water on my port and 1/2 a mile on my starboard, procedes to pass me
| to port slooooowly, cut in front and bear off s/w to New Jersey. Maybe
| its just a New York Thing?

So how did this act offend you? If it was me I would have sailed over and
started a conversation. Say hello.. compliment his boat... find out where he
is going. Wish him well, Ask if he needs you to allow him room to get around
you. I bet he wouldn't have cut you off... I bet he would remember your
boat the next time you met..... but better still ... maybe he would do the
same next time he met another boat and you would have started a movement to
return sailing to a user friendly lifestyle.

Why is aggressive action allowed to unfold under sail. Why must we take the
rude behaviour off the streets out onto the water. The few assholes can be
dealt with because by approaching in a friendly manner and being courteous
you will separate the truly obnoxious from the ignorant. Remember Hanlon's
Razor - "Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained
by ignorance or stupidity"

| BTW did you ever get that portaboat?

No... I ran out of cash. I have to build a new roof on the house.... so
funds are a little low now. Maybe next year..... I really like them and
think it's the perfect tender.

CM