Larry

Default Trim tabs

This summer I bought a new Bombardier SeaDoo Utopia 185. That's an 18 1/2'
jet boat powered by a 200 hp Mercury DFI V6. I live in northern NH and use
this as a lake boat, trailering it through VT, NH, and ME. After about 3
weeks, the motor died (in the middle of Rangeley Lake, no less) and back it
went to the dealer. While it was gone, they loaned me a Utopia 205 - a 20
1/2' boat powered by a Mercury 240.

I noticed that the larger boat went up on plane much easier and smoother.
This occurs in both boats at around 18 - 20 mph. Once on plane, both boats
handle about the same.

I was wondering if the addition of trim tabs to the 185 might make this
transition smoother and counteract the tendency of the boat to ride with
her nose way up out of the water at less than planing speeds. Lenco
apparently makes a kit designed for the 185 and others, but it's pretty
expensive and I wouldn't buy it unless I thought it would help.

Does anyone have any experience with trim tabs, particularly trim tabs on
jet boats? For background, I'm new to jet boats, but I grew up on the
water and have owned or crewed on both power and sail from 14' to 55'.

Thanks in advance,

Calif Bill

I have an aluminum jetboat. Have also throught of installing tabs. Guide I
talked to on the Sacramento river had them on his boat, and he said he would
not be without them. But he may have 2 people or 7 people in the boat.

"Larry" wrote in message
[...]

Harry Krause

Larry wrote:
[...]

The tabs should get you up on plane faster and keep the bow under
control. I have a pair of Lencos on my Parker. Get the tab position
indicator...very handy.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Larry

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 19:08:42 -0400, Harry Krause wrote:

Larry wrote:
[...]

Thanks guys, I guess I'll give them a try. Bit of a rush to get them
installed and tried out before I have to winterize!

Ronald A. Widman

Check out Nauticus SmartTabs http://www.nauticusinc.com/index_1024.html
They are auto adjusting and great for smaller boats such as an 18' boat.
They were a great addition to my 18' Stingray.

Ron

trim tabs werlax General 12 September 13th 03 03:11 AM
Setting Trim Position and Trim Limit Switches M.E. General 1 August 5th 03 02:00 AM
Bennett Trim Tabs Customer Service F330 GT General 5 August 2nd 03 02:39 AM
Power Trim JTC General 0 July 29th 03 11:41 AM
Nauticus Trim Tabs Bill Andersen General 0 July 28th 03 10:59 PM