Larry

Default Trim tabs

This summer I bought a new Bombardier SeaDoo Utopia 185. That's an 18 1/2'
jet boat powered by a 200 hp Mercury DFI V6. I live in northern NH and use
this as a lake boat, trailering it through VT, NH, and ME. After about 3
weeks, the motor died (in the middle of Rangeley Lake, no less) and back it
went to the dealer. While it was gone, they loaned me a Utopia 205 - a 20
1/2' boat powered by a Mercury 240.

I noticed that the larger boat went up on plane much easier and smoother.
This occurs in both boats at around 18 - 20 mph. Once on plane, both boats
handle about the same.

I was wondering if the addition of trim tabs to the 185 might make this
transition smoother and counteract the tendency of the boat to ride with
her nose way up out of the water at less than planing speeds. Lenco
apparently makes a kit designed for the 185 and others, but it's pretty
expensive and I wouldn't buy it unless I thought it would help.

Does anyone have any experience with trim tabs, particularly trim tabs on
jet boats? For background, I'm new to jet boats, but I grew up on the
water and have owned or crewed on both power and sail from 14' to 55'.

Thanks in advance,