Jim Flom

Default borrowers and lenders

I borrowed a friend's canoe for an eight day canoe trip (Bowron Lakes, BC --
it was great). Upon returning we discovered a nickel-sized crack/hole on
one end (above water line). I told the guy beforehand and I mean it that I
would accept responsibility for any damage.

We both know a guy who does fiberglass work who says he can fix it up just
fine.
However, the owner of the canoe wants to return it to the manufacturer (less
than an hour away) and get it professionally done, sanded, painted,
rebuffed, etc., to the tune of $220 or so. The canoe is at least ten years
old, and is in good shape but hardly pristine. He got it for free.

I'm having a hard time reconciling to covering such an expensive repair on
an older canoe in this situation. What's the right thing to do here?

He did offer to sell it before we even left for $800 Canadian. It's a 16'
fiberglass Clipper Ranger. I haven't done the work yet to see if that's a
good price, but it seems on the high side. New ones can be had for $1180
(CAD).

What do people think?

JF

$220.00.
I would pay it or offer $700 for the boat.
$800 is not real high but at 10 , well...

It wqs borrowed, took a wallop. If you pay $700 for it you would realy
be getting a boat for $500.00 a very fine price.

It is not painted by the way, that would be a gell coat.
An eight day rentall would likely be about $300.00 anyway. I pay $60.00
a day for a rental when I don't have enough boats.

Your situation has edges but a boat got a ding and if my car got a ding
it would cost about the same to fix... No it would be a little more, a
door scrape would set the insurance back about $200.00 plus a rental,
$45.00 and likely a taxi to or from the shop.
I hope this helps.
Alex

Jim Flom

wrote in message
oups.com...
$220.00.
I would pay it or offer $700 for the boat.
$800 is not real high but at 10 , well...

It wqs borrowed, took a wallop. If you pay $700 for it you would realy
be getting a boat for $500.00 a very fine price.

It is not painted by the way, that would be a gell coat.
An eight day rentall would likely be about $300.00 anyway. I pay $60.00
a day for a rental when I don't have enough boats.

Your situation has edges but a boat got a ding and if my car got a ding
it would cost about the same to fix... No it would be a little more, a
door scrape would set the insurance back about $200.00 plus a rental,
$45.00 and likely a taxi to or from the shop.
I hope this helps.
Alex

Much nicer response in this ng, Alex. thanks.

James

I would have the boat repaired how ever he wanted it done, and then I
would probably never hang or kick it with him again.

Speaking in the claims world, it is the responsibility of the
settlement party to choose the repair facility. However the repair must
meet or exceed the condition of the item prior to the damage. If the
claimant is still unhappy with the resolution, it is the responsibility
of the claimant to pursue further compensation.

Repair it the way you would want it repaired if it were your boat, and
if that is not good enought, chances are that nothing will be.

Michael Taylor

Say "Yes" to him and have it repaired by your fibreglass guy. As long as
your glass guy is OK, the owner won't be able to tell the difference and I'd
never tell him. Just hope he doesn't look at this newsgroup.
If it happened to me, I'd fix it myself. You might have to go to the
manufacturer for colour matching the gel coat.
Mike in Lunenburg